Chapter Four - Family Reunion

The next thing that Harry knew, he was hot, really hot. His eyes shot open and he rolled out of his previous position, immediately on guard. He quickly realised that he was alone, but when he looked around, he didn't recognize where he was. He was in a bedroom, he knew that much. Behind him was the bed that he'd just jumped out of, it being draped with a quilt as well as a multitude of pillows. Harry's nose scrunched up and the red and orange colour scheme of the room. There was a desk, but Harry noticed it was completely empty, assuming the drawers would be empty as well. Then there was a wardrobe on the other wall as well as a window. Though, upon further inspection, Harry noticed the faint shimmer of magic. There was a giant barrier down the middle of the room.

Curious, Harry walked up to it, reaching out and touching it with the end of his finger. So it didn't hurt to the touch... He looked around the room, his eyes falling on one of the pillows on the bed. Harry went back over to the bed, picking up one of the throw pillows. He tossed it up in the air a few times before chucking it, full force, at the barrier. Harry watched as it hit the barrier and simply fell to the floor, as if it was just hitting a wall. Harry looked down at his hand, then up at the barrier. He held his hand out, casting a simple disarming charm. Only, nothing happened. Harry blinked.

"Expelliarmus!" He tried again.

Nothing happened. Why- Harry looked back at the barrier and cursed under his breath. Magic dampeners. He thought for a moment, what was the simplest charm he knew? The boy tried a few others and was starting to lose hope when he finally felt the rush of magic as a tickling hex flew at the barrier. Harry had expected it to act the same as any spell would just hitting a wall, but his eyes widened and he dropped to the ground as the spell ricocheted back at him, hitting the wall behind him. So it reacted to magic.

Just as Harry was getting up, brushing his sleeves off even though there was no dust on them, the door flew open to reveal Lily and James standing there. He gave them a burning glare while they both just stared at him.

"You can stop that." Harry told them sourly, fixing his cuffs, "It's not like I'm some bloody Zoo exhibit."

Both adults quickly stopped. James closed the door and they both took seats on the opposite side of the barrier.

"Harry-" James began.

"It's Riddle to you." Harry snapped.

James's jaw clenched, "I know this isn't exactly ideal-"

Harry actually had a laugh at that one, "Not exactly ideal?"

"Would you let us talk?" Lily snapped, "We're not going to get anywhere without some communication."

"What makes you think I want to get anywhere with either of you?" Harry shot back.

"You're our son-" James reasoned but Harry scoffed and sat down on the edge of the bed, crossing his arms and legs.

"You lost your right to call me your son the moment you abandoned me."

"We didn't abandon you!" Lily exclaimed, "We were coming back for you- It wasn't safe for you here-"

"As if I feel safe here now." Harry rolled his eyes.

"We're not going to hurt you." James told him.

"Says the man who just attacked my own home only to kidnap me and trap me in what is no more than a refurbished cell." Harry said venomously.

Lily sighed, exasperatedly, "Harry, you obviously need some time to cool down-"

"I told you, it's Riddle." Harry hissed.

Harry saw James's grip visibly tighten, Lily laid a hand over her husband's, calming him down.

"We just want to have a conversation with you." Lily told him, "Have a chance to clear the air."