33. Homecoming

Pennhurst Asylum, Spring City PA

Brandon woke me up before one in the morning

Brandon woke me up before one in the morning. I'd fallen asleep after our last stop at a gas station, at about ten. I sat up, rubbing my eyes. It was hot in the car.

"Where are we?" I muttered.

"Close," said Kujo from the backseat.

"Almost there," Brandon replied, handing me his phone ready to make a call. "Dial Brett to let him know we're five minutes away from Spring City."

I did. It was the first time I talked to this guy, and when I introduced myself, he seemed to have a whole lot of questions. Brandon heard him and signaled me to hold the phone between us on speaker.

"Hey, Brett, we're almost there. You'll see yourself in a few minutes. Did you get any psychic or medium to be there with you?"

"I'm a sensitive, Brandon, don't you remember?"

"Sorry, man. It's been a while and a thousand places. See you in ten."

Brandon nodded and I disconnected as we drove past a mall and turned right. A couple of minutes later, I saw the lights from what looked like a cluster of big old brick buildings surrounded by strips of woods.

"Pennhurst," said Kujo, and I heard the faint hiss that meant he was laughing, or at least making some kind of sound of joy.

We drove up to the main building and my car stopped almost on our bumper. A big man with a black Pennhurst tee came out of the next building to meet us. He was in his late forties and tried to keep his long curly hair in a ponytail, not quite succeeding. I let Brandon get out of the truck first, while I peeked under the sheet of fabric.

"Wait here, my boy. I'm gonna try to make them turn off all those big lights for a while."

"Kujo wait."

When I got out of the truck, Isaac and Trisha were already filming from different sides a few steps ahead and Amy was shaking hands with the big man. Brandon waved for me to join them.