chapter one hundred

"GIVE ME THE keys to the Twinkie," Brooklyn yells at her brother the second she gets to the airstrip. "I need to get to Kiara. They took her to that ridiculous wilderness camp and I need to get her back, right now!"

She's out of breathe, holding her knees and close to throwing up when she arrives at the airstrip but she has to focus on getting Kiara and getting everyone to South America. "I... I need the keys and I'll try and get back, okay? But if I don't, you have to go without me," she tells her brother.

"Brooke-"

"Give me the keys. Now," she insists. "I need to save Kiara."

John B can't argue with her. He gives her the keys and Brooklyn says her goodbyes to everyone and wraps her arms around JJ tightly, promising to be back as quick as she can. "You don't need to come with me, okay? I'll be fine. I love you," she whispers, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "Nobody die, I love you all. I'll be back!"

She runs off to the Twinkie and is quick to drive away. She knows that she couldn't just leave Kiara, especially not at that camp, when she's a Pogue and she deserves to be in this with everyone. She needs to get her back now, safe and sound.

Only problem is, she has no idea where she needs to go so while she's driving, she looks up the directions on her phone, finding Kitty Hawk to be outside the city near the coastal swamp. There's no way she'd be back in an hour, she needs to call her brother and let him know but before she does, the tire suddenly pops and she's close to spinning off the road.

"What..." she mutters, hoping she just went over something rocky and that she hadn't damaged her only way of getting to Kiara.

She climbs out the car, walks around to the boot and pulls out the spare tire, only to hear a car pulling up behind her. When she turns to see it, it's black and there's two men getting out of it, one of which she recognises as Barracuda Mike.

Shit, she thinks. The other guy who gets out the car points a gun in her direction. "You had to do and shoot my tire. Really?" she scoffs. Luck really isn't on her side today.

"Where's your boyfriend, Routledge?" Mike asks and Brooklyn shakes her head in frustration.

"Not here," she responds.

"Your boyfriend lost us the load. Now instead of me getting paid, princess, I owe them. If he isn't here, I guess we can use you as bait. Get in the car," he demands and Brooklyn shakes her head.

"That's not happening," she explains. "I have somewhere I gotta be, so..."

"You heard him. Get in the car," the man with the gun speaks and Brooklyn continues to shake her head.

She tries something that may get her killed, but she needs to try and convince them to let her go, "Hey, I know you've heard all these stories. About me and my friends, a little something called the Royal Merchant. A pile of gold. Ringing any bells?" she asks as she steps closer to them.

"I heard some bullshit," Mike responds.

"That bullshit's real," she replies. "And yeah, we found it."

"Yeah, I saw. That's why your home is burnt down," Mike comments and Brooklyn laughs with them. "That's also why there's bunch of dudes throwing JJ's furniture in a dumpster out back his house? You're living high, Routledge."

"Yeah, my house is burnt to the ground, but that won't matter soon, I'll have a lot of money," she admits, taking another step forward.

"Let me guess, you, uh... got that gold buried somewhere in a barn, right?" he asks. "And if I just let you go right now, you'll run right there, you'll get it, we'll split it, right?"