Chapter 2 - Unmasked

*Two weeks later; William's POV*

It's been some time since I came to this strange, new world. Nearly everything is different from Earth. The nights are quiet, unlike at the orphanage. The trees are found in every shade and colour, except for green. It's pleasant, to say the least. This particular night is the most quiet I ever had. No bugs, no fairies to eat my skin... But it was quite strange that Ms. Lilith hadn't come in to check on me yet. Eventually, I decided to look outside.

"Hey! You're not supposed to be outside." The coven guard outside turned his head to me when I peeked out from behind the door.

"Do you know where Ms. Lilith is?" I asked. He looked a bit troubled.

"I don't really know. Do you need anything?" He asked in a more relaxed voice. I nodded and walked back into the room, sitting down on my bed. He followed me and stood by the door after closing it.

"So, what do you need? Some food? A toy?" He asked again.

"Could we be friends? I mean... Is it permitted?" Turning my head towards him, our eyes didn't meet.

"I think so. Lilith didn't say that talking to you was off limits, so yeah. What's your name?" His eyes met mine, and a weak pain shot through my heart, reacting to his gaze. As I looked down, I noticed my right index fingertip glowing in a dark purple hue. Ignoring it, I looked back at him.

"It's William. I only have one name... And yours?" I unconsciously released a quiet, awkward chuckle. The scout nodded and removed his helmet.

"I'm Steve Tholomule. Pleasure to meet you, William." He walked a few feet towards me, standing beside the chair next to my desk.

"I guess it's pleasure too...?" I tried to improvise on greetings since I wasn't taught any in the orphanage. He chuckled and extended his hand for a handshake, which I took.

"So, any plans since you came here?" He sat down onto the chair and crossed his legs.

"Not really... I just read and think... maybe talk to Ms. Lilith, when she visits me. She should have arrived already..." I turned away, looking out through the window. Suddenly, the door opened, releasing a loud bang as it hit the wall. My instincts made me jump up and look at the entrance of the room to see Ms. Lilith, with her hair dishevelled and her palisman on her shoulder.

"William! Is everything..!" She looks around panicked, noticing Steve and me. Taking a deep breath, she cleans herself up and looks at the scout. Steve quickly put on his mask and stood up, saluting.

"Uh, Madame Lilith...!"

"Don't trouble yourself, Steve. I'll deal with your misbehaviour later. Leave the room and return to your post." She ordered coldly, narrowing her eyes. Steve lowered his head and walked out of the room without a word. Lilith closed the door with magic and sat down before me onto the chair that Steve was sitting on mere moments ago.

"Is Steve in trouble? I'm sorry, I'm so sorry if I caused him or you trouble! Please don't punish him.." I looked away. From the corner of my eyes, I saw the blue haired witch reach out towards me, but she pulled it back after noticing where I was looking.

"Fine, I won't punish him. If you want, I can assign him to be here all the time. Will, you're not prisoner, you know that, right?" She asked me, making me turn back. After a few moments of contemplating, I nodded.

"I've been here for around two weeks, Ms. Lilith. What can I do except stay in my room? I'm.. I'm not even sure if I get to stay here... I don't want to go back to the Human Realm..." My voice faltered at the end. I had a room, someone who was like a mother to me, and I was healthy.