Chapter 28: Avoidance

The Hero Agency Internships was an overall great experience for us students. We learned what it felt like out on the field and to better handle situations related to villains.

It was great but...

"Hey Setsuna," I spoke.

"...Yeah?" she replied.

"You sure nothing happened between you and Marcus?" I said as we walked to school together, "The guy has been coming to school by himself ever since the internships."

"How should I know what's going on?!" Setsuna said oppressed, "It's not like I know everything about him Juzo."

"...You got me there," I said as we both sigh, "What do you think happened to him?"

"Beats me," Setsuna said pouting, "he's been avoiding us lately."

Just like she said, recently, our good friend Marcus has been acting strange. He was usually very outgoing and would hang out with us, but something happened and changed the guy we once knew into a social introvert.

Normally, the three of us would go to class together and start our day. As of now, it was just me and Setsuna, and he keeps avoiding eye contact. He also runs off somewhere during breaks and lunch which is also starting to get annoying.

I thought it was just Setsuna and Marcus being awkward in the beginning but it doesn't seem the case after hearing what she had to say. It's gotten to a point where our classmates are wondering what in the world is going on.

"You think he'll avoid us today?" Setsuna said as we arrive at our class door.

"Hope not," I said opening the door, "don't think we should get our hopes up."

We greet everyone and look over at Marcus as his seat was empty.

"Marcus called in sick today," Kendo informs us, "maybe it's just me, but Marcus has been acting strange lately."

"Tell me about it," I said rolling my eyes, "something's definitely up."

"I just hope he could tell us what's going on..." Setsuna said with slight sorrow, "Stupid Marcus..."

Setsuna held tightly on her skirt and left for her seat.

Ever since the sudden change of Marcus, Setsuna has been gloomy. It was obvious just from her sudden change in personality much like someone I know who has been avoiding us lately.

Kendo and I watch as Setsuna just rested her head on her arm and aimlessly looked out the window.

"Marcus' absence has been a big impact in class," Kendo said shaking her head, "what am I going to do with the handouts he missed out on?"

I look at the handouts for a bit and make a decision, "I'll give it to him."

"You sure?" Kendo asks hesitantly, "I'm okay with it, but I don't think Marcus would be very fond of-"

"Well he doesn't have much of a choice," I said taking the handouts.

"You're right about that," Kendo said looking at Setsuna, "good luck."

"Yeah..." I said with a sigh, "thanks."

I get back to my seat and stuff Marcus' handouts into my bag.

This awkwardness has been going on long enough and I'm going to put an end to this today.

•••