𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖|𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐎𝐜𝐞𝐚𝐧

Astraea

February 25th, 1997

As a kid, my family meant everything to me. As I grew up and when I lost my stepmom, my family was never the same. My bond with my brother grew immensely. He became like my twin flame. He always stood by my side and assured me nobody would hurt me. He's developed a liking for Greyson. They both go on runs early in the morning before the sun rises. I was never that much of a morning person. I couldn't understand how they'd be able to wake up early in the morning and be able to run. My brother, Roman, had told me that running was an outlet for him. He could feel the cool breeze on his skin and release the negative emotions and feelings inside him.

Roman formed a liking for a girl named Nora Marcello when we were kids. They began dating two years ago. As his sister, I felt as protective over him as he was to me. When he told me he planned on asking her to be his girlfriend, I decided to look into her. My dad was a mafia don. He had unlimited access to learning information about people and running background checks. It was also a way he'd learn about the people he hired. I felt it had been eating me alive since I was eleven.

Azrealea had also seen through Nora's lies. As she's grown up, she's increasingly become worse for my brother. She's grown an addiction to alcohol. Roman attempted to help her, but each time she refused him. A year ago, she became abusive toward my brother. My heart burned whenever my brother told me that Nora had hurt him. I'd help him stitch wounds and ice bruises.

Watching him suffer is a pain I never wanted to endure.

Roman believed the lies she spoke. She'd tell him that she'd change, but she never did. Tonight, Roman came home with a bruised eye, a scar, and two injured rib cages. I felt my heart sink into my chest when he stood feet away from me, gripping the wall. Tears are stained under his eyes. I stand up from the sofa and quickly approach him. I wrap my arm around his shoulder and walk him to the couch.

I enter the kitchen and grab an ice pack from the freezer and a safety kit from the cabinet. Roman groans, "Rea, I'm fine." I sigh and turn towards him. I fold my arms and exclaim, "Roman Russo. You could barely walk when you entered this house. You are not fine. Just let me help you."

He smirks and confesses, "You're just like mom." I chuckle. It felt heartwarming knowing I inherited a trait and quality from our mom. Even though we weren't blood-related, she loved me nonetheless. I was her daughter. She had always wanted a daughter. She used to call me a blessing. I lean against the kitchen door frame and fold my arms. I reply, "Mom knew when you were lying. She was able to read your body language. After sixteen years of being around you, I've learned as well when your lying."

Roman would avoid eye contact or smirk when he lied. The way he spoke also implied that he was lying. I enter the living room and sit beside him. He lifted his shirt, revealing the bruises covering both his rib cages. I place the ice pack on his rib cage and open the safety kit. He winced in pain. I set my hand on his shoulder. I apologize, "I'm sorry in advance. The stitches will hurt."

He nods. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. I begin to stitch the wounds above his eye and on his head. He tries to avoid the pain.

Once I finished, I glanced at him. I admit, "I never liked your girlfriend, Nora. Before you dated her, Riz and I knew she had bad intentions. She had only cared about her status and money. Her wealth was all that mattered to her. You were just a pawn in her game."

I pause and close the safety kit. I continue, "She may have loved you once, but Nora abuses you. She beats you and blames the alcohol. She blames everyone but herself. You can't live like this, Roman. Mom wouldn't want this for you, and neither do I." He presses his hand gently on the ice pack on his rib cage. He turns toward me. He says, "Rea, I can't leave her. It's difficult to let go of someone you've loved for many years."