Chapter 30

Hazel POV

I couldn't sleep last night. Aiden's confession had my mind in a whirlwind of confusion. When I glanced at the clock, it was already 7 am. It was clear that I needed to get out of there.

Quietly making my way downstairs, I saw that both Aiden and Alice were still fast asleep. I managed to arrange for a ride and hurried back home. Once I got home, I took a refreshing shower, hoping it would wash away some of the confusion I was feeling.

I really missed Chloe. She was currently on a photo shoot overseas and wouldn't be back until Friday. I wished she was here with me, someone I could trust and confide in during these uncertain times.

Unable to get last night's events out of my head, I decided to keep myself occupied. I cleaned the entire apartment and ordered some takeout. As I settled down to watch a movie, the doorbell suddenly rang, indicating that my food had arrived.

Grabbing my wallet, I opened the door and was taken aback to find Aiden standing there.

"Hazel," he said, his presence catching me completely off guard.

"Aiden... what... what are you doing here?" I asked, shocked to see him at my doorstep.

"I came to talk to you. May I come in?" he asked, his tone sincere.

"Sure," I replied, letting him inside. He walked into the living room, and I followed behind, feeling a mix of curiosity and apprehension.

His eyes landed on the TV screen. "Hmm, you like action movies?" he asked, surprise evident in his voice.

"Yeah, they're my favorite genre," I admitted, feeling a hint of blush creeping up my cheeks.

"Mine too. Who would have thought? You truly are unique, Hazel," he said with a smile. I gestured for him to take a seat as I turned off the TV.

Sitting down next to him, I braced myself for the conversation that was about to unfold. "You left quite early this morning," he remarked.

"Yeah, I had some things I needed to take care of," I replied, trying to sound casual.

"It must have been important, especially since you woke up so early on a Sunday," he observed, his gaze fixed on me.

"Yeah," I responded, my voice betraying a hint of unease.

"Alice asked about you. She would have really liked to see you this morning," he mentioned, making me feel a pang of guilt.

"I'll make it up to her," I promised, hoping to alleviate some of the guilt I felt for leaving so abruptly.

"You don't have to, Hazel. I understand why you left, and that's why I'm here," he said, his tone softening. "Hazel, I meant every word I said last night. I like you. I really like you. I pushed you away before because... well, because I'm your boss. It's not right to have a workplace relationship. I tried to suppress my feelings, but I can't do it anymore. I just can't," he confessed earnestly.

"Aiden, you can't mean that. Someone like you, with your status, can't possibly like someone like me," I protested, my insecurities resurfacing.

"Hazel, my entire life, I've been told what to do. I've had every aspect of my life dictated to me—how to dress, what to eat, how to act, what to study, even who I should date. But with you, it's different. For once in my life, I'm doing what I want. I've always tried to bury my feelings, but I can't do that with you. You're like a ray of light, bringing me peace. When I'm with you, you make me smile, and you make me feel things I've never felt before," he confessed, vulnerability coloring his words.

"Aiden," I whispered, feeling a swirl of emotions inside me.

"Please, tell me you feel the same way, Hazel. I know I messed up before, said things that were far from the truth. Please, don't tell me I've lost my chance to be with you," he pleaded, his eyes searching mine.

I was speechless, caught between the fear of the unknown and the longing in his eyes. "Aiden, we would never make sense," I finally managed to say.

"It doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to anyone else, as long as it makes sense to us," he replied, leaning in closer until our foreheads were touching.

"Aiden," I breathed out, feeling a mixture of uncertainty and exhilaration.

"Just tell me one thing, Hazel. Do you feel the same way?" he asked, his voice filled with hope.

"I do, but..." I started, my voice trailing off.

"That's all I need to know," he interrupted, closing the remaining distance between us and kissing me. In that moment, I wrapped my arms around his neck, feeling the pull of his presence.

Our kiss was interrupted by the doorbell, causing us to break apart, both of us left breathless.

"I'll get that," I said, trying to regain my composure. Aiden nodded, his eyes still fixed on me.

I stood up and opened the door, receiving my takeout order. Thanking the delivery person, I closed the door and placed the food on the counter before returning to the living room.

Sitting back down next to Aiden, I could feel the weight of his question lingering in the air.

"So, is that a yes?" he asked, his eyes filled with anticipation.

"Aiden, are you sure about this?" I questioned, needing reassurance.

"I'm 100% sure," he affirmed, a genuine smile spreading across his face.

"Well, if you're sure, I suppose we could give it a try," I said, feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension.

Aiden's smile widened, and he kissed me once again. In that moment, I realized that this was just the beginning, and I couldn't help but wonder what the future held for us.

As we pulled away from the kiss, he pulled me into a warm embrace, and I hugged him back. "Thank you so much, Hazel. I feel like the luckiest man in the world," he said sincerely.

"The lucky one is me," I whispered, feeling a surge of gratitude and contentment.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes before Aiden broke the silence. "There's one thing I need to mention," he began, and I looked up at him, awaiting his words.

"Even though I would love to shout to the world how lucky I am, we'll have to keep our relationship a secret for now. As your boss, we can't let people find out we're dating," he explained, a hint of regret in his voice.

"It's okay, Aiden. I understand. Besides, I'm planning on quitting once the six months are up. With the amount of money I'll be earning, I can apply for college next fall," I shared, a mixture of excitement and determination coursing through me.

Aiden's face lit up with genuine happiness. "Hazel, that's amazing! I'm so glad you're going back to school!" he exclaimed, pulling me into another hug. "And thank you for understanding," he added.

"No problem," I reassured him, returning the hug.

"Oh, before I forget, my graduation party is next weekend. I would be honored if you'd be my date," he said, causing my eyes to widen in surprise.

"But I thought we couldn't let anyone know about us," I voiced my concern.

"We don't have to tell everyone you're my date," he clarified. "I want you there by my side, Hazel. It would mean the world to me."

I couldn't refuse his earnest request. "Okay, I'll be there," I agreed, a mixture of nervousness and curiosity welling up inside me.

Aiden smiled and gave me a small, affectionate kiss. "Thank you," he said sincerely.

"No problem," I replied, my heart swelling with a newfound sense of adventure and love. "Would you like to have lunch with me and watch an action movie?" I proposed.

His smile grew wider as he looked at me. "I couldn't think of a better date," he responded.