Prologue

Flights of Fancy was a small flower shop in downtown Boston. Bertie Songthrush, the sole proprietor, had been in this building for just over five years now, and the joy it brought her was immeasurable. She found peace within the day-to-day routine of filling orders and caring for her flowers.

Bertie had made the decision to open her own shop after picking up a book of sayings, proverbs and quotes at a flea market, and discovered one that gave her the motivation to change her life for the better.

'Don't wait for someone to bring you
flowers. Plant your own garden and
decorate your own soul.'
- Luther Burbank

Her parents weren't particularly pleased that she'd quit her higher paying job at the magazine company CondeNest, but it didn't bother her anymore. Bertie was happy; she had a nice apartment, she had good friends, and she enjoyed the chit chat with her customers. What more could she want?

Well, there was one thing. Her thoughts drifted to a woman who had been frequenting her shop the past few months. Muriel. She was a bat with fur as white as the petals of the orchids she purchased every week. At first, Bertie had found the woman intimidating. She dressed in all black, wore tall platform boots, and a matching set of spiked necklace and bracelets. Yet she'd been friendly, with a kind smile that curved her dark lips in the most beautiful way

Every time this woman came in, Bertie's heart fluttered. She frequently daydreamed about her - about them, together - possibly going places and having dinner. Usually Bertie entertained these daydreams while she sipped coffee and nibbled pastries in Muriel's café.

Bertie was beginning to think she just might have a crush on the goth.

Oh who was she kidding? She did have a crush on her.

She'd never given her sexuality much thought, focusing instead on getting through school and college, then on finding something that brought her a peaceful life. Now, however, Bertie realized that she truly found this woman beautiful; not only in appearance but in personality as well. For about four months now she'd been adding new flowers to Muriel's orders, and was adamant that the goth bat not pay extra for them.

Bertie was too shy to attempt verbally flirting with Muriel, so she just had to hope that the bat would interpret her intentions - her true feelings spoken instead in the hidden meanings behind the extra flowers she slipped into each order.

When Muriel came in one day with a young child, Bertie had been disappointed, assuming that Muriel must have a husband, or boyfriend. But instead, she was delighted to learn that Muriel's son, Draven, had been fathered by a friend willing to be a donor, so Muriel could have a child. Bertie felt ready to burst with joy when Muriel later said she was single and lesbian.

The day Muriel had surprised her with a beautiful bouquet of flowers, Bertie hoped it meant Muriel understood her flower messages, and was returning that message of love to her.
The flowers Muriel had chosen certainly had those intentions. But in the following days, without any other hints or confirmation, the doubt crept in.

Maybe she was just being too optimistic, and in the end her heart would forever yearn for what she couldn't have.

The jingle of the bell above the door brought her thoughts back to the present. Bertie finished spraying water on the back row of gardenias as she greeted her customer. "Welcome to Flights of Fancy, how may I help you?"

She turned around and butterflies filled her stomach when she saw who her customer was., A blush bloomed across her cheeks. "H-Hi Muriel!" She now felt nervous; her thoughts were all scrambled, and she didn't quite know what to do with her hands. "Uh, can I get you anything in particular?"