005 ,, that is a dull name

that is a dull name !

© j4nu4ry_v4lent1ne , 2023

☀︎

━━━━━━━━ THE EIGHT-YEAR-OLD aislin made it to the wooden stables but heard no noises from the animals inside. she felt it was odd so she had decided to investigate further. she crept in from the back of the stables, just in case, there were faes 'guarding' the front of the stables. the gentle push and creaks of the door created a crack big enough for her swiftly flow through and close the entrance behind her.

when she turned around she was met with disappointment. the stables were unoccupied. just as she was about to walk out, her pointed ears picked up shuffling coming from behind one of the fences. curiosity getting the better of her, she walked over to the wall.

she used a stack of hay as a stool and once she was certain she wouldn't fall, she looked over the wall to find a boy. "oh! what are you doing in here?" she ponders. he stared up at her, a tail, she doesn't notice until a while later, thrashing about behind him. he doesn't reply.

"can you not get out? are you stuck?" when he doesn't reply she decides to take matters into her own hands. she took another stack of hay and piled it on the other side of the wall, tossing it over. she climbed over the fence and jumped down, she fell but brushed off her knees and stood back up, looking the boy in the eyes. she realised if lady alma had been here, she'd surely be told how scraped knees were 'unladylike and improper', especially for someone like aislin who was representing the court of bone.

"hello," she politely greeted, as she had been taught, with a bright smile.

"you shouldn't be in here." are the first words he says to her and she's a bit confused.

"hmm? why not? you're stuck!" she exclaimed, "come with me! i'll help you out," she extended her hand and he just glares.

"don't you understand? i was placed here, they'll come get me eventually..." he looks down and scowls. "why do you even care? go back to your mother."

she pursed her lips and sat down right in front of him, "no, i don't think i will." he looks at her, unamusingly surprised. "if you get to stay here then so can i." she played with the dirt on the ground.

he grabbed her shoulders and shook her a bit harshly, and she glared at him, "if you stay here my father could cut your head off." he tells her, trying to get her to depart.

"well then, he'll just have to live with the fact that he just chopped off a child's head then, won't he?" she challenged lightly and went back to tracing patterns on the dirt. when he groans she looks at him, "what's your name then?"

"cardan."

"marvellous, i'm aislin," she states happily.

"that is a very dull name," he says attempting to insult her. which, she supposed had some truth in it or he wouldn't have been able to say it but, she wasn't going to take criticism from a boy in the stables who she had saved.

"cardan, if you're trying to insult me then it isn't doing much harm right now," she blankly told him, "i'm going to stay here because you're lonely and so am i, we can be each other's company," she smiled, knowing she didn't have anything else to do for the rest of the day. maybe this could make her feel like she did in the mortal realm. as if she had companions by her side. perhaps, even friends.

he simply groans.

that memory was one of the things aislin was unable to recall to this day and what seemed like would never recall until forever. 

but cardan did. and he would wait to show her everything until it was time for her to know the truth. 

☀︎

━━━ 🧸🎀💌
izuki's corner ::

oh??? referring to her 'missing chunks of memory' perhaps??? i wonder why they were even missing in the first place??? 🫢🫢🫢

so many questions and i have it all planned out so all u guys have to do is #trust ✊🏽✊🏽✊🏽

also, sorry chapters have been like a month-long waits recently, i have so many exams its crazy and plus, other books to finish too so i can't guarantee updates too often but they will at least be once a month don't stress ab that 😨😨😨

(unless smth rlly insane has happened which lets all hope won't) ‼️‼️‼️