chapter 1 - 1942

It was June of 1942 when Cecilia met Elvis. The little girl was five and the sassy southern boy was seven.

It all happened by accident, one moment leading to the other. Pandora and Cecilia Martin were the newest addition to the neighborhood, though with wary glances their way. Heavy suitcases balanced on top of each other as a small hand tried to grasp at her mama's skirt.

"Cece, get the door, darling.", her mother instructed her, though the kid looked at the door and glanced back at her mama.

"Can't I hold the suitcases?", Cecilia suggested, making Pandora shake her head.

"Take the key, baby and open the door c'mon.", she had no other choice, but to obey. With the key in her hand and a last look at her mama struggling with all the weight of the suitcases, Cecilia struggled to get the key to fit in the lock.

"Mama, it don't fit.", she complained as she tried once again. Pandora's eyes glanced at her daughter. "Try again."

"It don't work.", the little kid was legitimately playing with anxiety. The pressure of her mother's eyes on her and the key not seeming to work.

"Try again, sweetie, don't make me drop all them suitcases now.", Cecilia's shaky hand holding the key didn't seem to make the situation any better. Exasperated, Pandora moved closer, leaning most of her body weight on the door as she tried to balance the suitcases on one hand. "Give me the key, baby.", though before little Cecilia could even process her words, the door snapped open. Pandora hit the ground and one of the suitcases landed on Cece's foot. The little girl yelped at the pain and looked up at the reason that caused her mama to fall and get hurt.

A dark haired woman stood in front of her, who let out a small gasp at the sight. "Oh, sweetie, here let me help.", she moved the suitcases aside and helped Pandora up, who was blushing furiously.

"I'm so sorry—"

"Oh, nonsense, c'mon in. All them houses look the same, don't they? C'mon in darlin'.", she motioned to Cecilia, who was also slowly turning red. Her small eyes looked up at her mama, who cleared her throat and took her daughter's hand.

"We don't really wanna bother you, Mrs..."

"Oh silly me! It's Mrs Presley, but please call me Gladys. Come in.", the woman pulled them inside and grasped Pandora's arm, showing them the way to the living room.

"I'm Pandora Martin and this is my daughter Cecilia.", she let out a deep breath, already feeling welcomed by Gladys' warm presence. They made themselves comfortable on the couch and watched the sweet woman disappear in the kitchen. Cece fiddled with her hands in her lap and looked up at Pandora.

"We almost broke in someone's house, right mama?", she innocently questioned, making her mother sigh and dryly chuckle. "We almost did, baby, yeah."

"Hey mama, them suitcases ain't mine, I swear.", a young voice called, making Cece sit up. Could it be a trace of a possible friend?

"I know, Booby, we got guests. Please bring them in the hallway."

"Sure mama.", and the little boy listened and moved the suitcases inside. He walked to the kitchen and noticed a small smile on his mama's face. He loved seeing her genuinely happy. "Who are the guests, mama?"

"You'll see, Booby. Now, go wash your hands and come back to greet everyone properly.", Gladys told him as she set some cookies and coffee on a tray. She carried them out and placed them on the table, smiling at the little girl.

"I know I seem a lil' pushy, but that's how we are here.", Gladys laughed a little and sat on the couch, facing Pandora, who smiled sweetly at her.

"I'm loving the warm welcome, Gladys. Actually, we are, aren't we little darling?", Pandora tickled Cece's side, making the little girl blush.