Destined Enemies- Year 1

Draco

I got sorted into Slytherin; thank the stars. I hid my relief as the other first years and myself were led down to the common room and dorms. I laughed with my friends and tried my hardest to hide the overwhelming anxiety rushing through my blood. There was a pounding in my head that wouldn't go away.

I got in the shower after settling in. The green four-poster beds lining the walls reminded me of an orphanage. The rest of my classmates in Slytherin were buzzing with excitement while I only thought of sleep. I sat in my bed talking with Crabb, Goyle, and Blaize about the upcoming years. Seven years of school, seven months away from my dad, seven months of learning; seven must be my lucky number. 

I tried to keep the conversation flowing between the four of us. We have to be friends for the social status of our parents. I would much rather not. I do better on my own. I always have. Being an only child taught me to rely on myself and only myself.

I'm grateful when we're all told it's time for bed. The day of socializing has drained me. I lay in my bed thinking what it would be like if me and Harry Potter weren't destined enemies. I think we would become friends, talking about who we like and hanging out by the lake.

~~~

I woke up with the sunrise. I got dressed in my Slytherin robes and headed to the Great Hall for breakfast.

"Malfoy, I am pleased that you wound up in Slytherin," Professor Snape said when he passed by me. "Don't want to end up like others in your bloodline."

I nodded at his words. He was talking about my Uncle Sirius. He was sorted into Gryffindor and was disowned from the family. He was friends with James Potter and is Harry's godfather. I wonder what would've happened if I had been sorted into any of the other houses. Nothing good.

People slowly started trickling into the Great Hall. When mail was dropped off, I got a letter from my parents being proud of me for getting into Slytherin. My fathers subtle threats loomed in between the lines of my mothers neat cursive. We got our class schedules and I groaned along with the other Slytherins' seeing how many classes we had with Gryffindor, but not for the same reasons as the others.

I know I'm not like other boys, I have for a while. I don't wish me and Harry weren't enemies by blood so we could just be friends, I wanted to be with him. I wanted to spoil him and give him things he probably never had before.

So I complained about the class schedule because I was going to have to be in classes with Harry and not be able to talk to him without being rude, I'm going to be in the same room as him and try not to get lost in his green eyes, and try to suppress the feelings I have already formed for him.

School might be worse than I thought it was going to be.

Harry

Ron told me about the school and the castle and the houses before we were dropped off. I am stuck in a mindset of bewilderment before we step foot on the grounds at Hogwarts. I got sorted into Gryffindor with Ron and I sleep peacefully in the dorms. 

The next morning at breakfast we get our schedules. Some of the students complain about being in classes with Slytherin, but I can't see the big deal with it. Ron told me about the history of Slytherin, but I don't want to judge them without knowing them first. It feels unfair to me.

Once in class, I see the issue with Slytherin. They all act entitled. The Gryffindor and Slytherin first years are all sitting in the potions classroom and the Slytherin students are talking and acting like they run the place. The potions master is the head of Slytherin house and he doesn't correct their behavior, and he looks at me like he hates me for existing. He asks me questions about the subject and scoffs at me when I don't know the answers. The Slytherins laugh with him.

The blonde boy I saw at the train station is in Slytherin. He snickers to his friends about my lack of knowledge. I learned that his name is Draco Malfoy from the sorting. Ron told me about his family after we got to the common room. I feel like we could've been friends in another life. 

After potions class, Ron did what he could to cheer me up. 

"C'mon mate," Ron said, "everyone in Slytherin are a bunch of assholes. They were raised that way. No need to have it get to your head. They're just jealous because they know everyone is going to want to be your friend."

"Maybe. I just don't know why Professor Snape was so mean to me. It was my first time meeting the bloke. There's nothing I could've done to make him hate me so much."

"I don't know, Harry." Ron and I finish the walk to our next class in silence. 

Besides potions, the rest of the day went well. The other houses are nice. There's one girl, Hermione Granger, that is in Gryffindor that is a muggle born witch and it's like she knows so much. Ron thinks she's annoying, but I cannot help but admire her. She earned Gryffindor a lot of house points today for knowing the answers to questions that nobody else could answer. A lot of students are shocked that she didn't get sorted into Ravenclaw, and all the teachers we've had so far adore her.

During dinner, a lot of students talk to me, none of the Slytherins do, though. However, I do catch grey eyes and blonde hair stare at me multiple times. I think he hates me too, or he might want to be me. The answer is unclear on that one. 

When I dream that night, I dream of late night walks, blonde hair, grey eyes, and secrets that I can't tell.