Chapter 4.5

"Her parents can't even bother to plan her funeral," Spencer said.

I had been talking with Spencer Maxwell for a few days after the death of her niece, Guinevere.

"I could help you," I offered. "I've done it by myself before. For my mother. When I was sixteen. I'd be happy to help, if you'd let me."

"Would you? Oh thank you so much, Mr. King-"

"I told you, it's just Rollan. We're not just partners, we're friends now. You don't have to be so formal."

"Rollan. Right. My deadbeat brother can't even bother to think about his daughter, let alone his grieving son. If you could help me, that would mean the world to me."

"Of course, that's why I offered."

We had it all planned in a few days. Gwen didn't have any family in the city other than her parents and Spencer, given they moved from NYC just before transports to the city harbour were cut off. She had no relatives to be buried with. So, I offered for her to be set beside my mother. Spencer loved the idea, given I was nicer to her in only a week than her brother was their entire life.

You'd expect a funeral to be all dark and gloomy, rain coming down over the earth. Gwen's funeral was set on a near-perfect sunny day. Ironic weather for such a woeful occasion. Only three people showed up. Spencer, Seth, and I.

"Thank you again for doing this for us," Spencer said once the "service" was over. "Though, why is she so far away?"

When we buried Gwen, I made sure to leave one space between her and my mother.

"It only feels right for a mother to be buried next to her son," I said.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, this whole thing ends only one of two ways. Either I die, or Vincent does. There should be a space for one of us with our family."

"I don't know, Rollan. Burying a little girl beside the undug grave of her killer seems a little insensitive, don't you think?"

"It's my place, then. It's only fitting Vincent be buried next to my dad, I guess."

"Why's that?"

"Dad was a... special guy. He died right after Vincent was born. Car crash. He was a little knocked up in the head. Guess that's where Vincent gets it."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't be. He was a great dad, while he was around. That's what mom said, anyway. I was only four."

"That's not what I meant."

"What?"

"I'm just sorry you have to deal with all of this. In your family. Gwen and Seth's parents are the same way. They're... screwy. In a way, I'm happy that Gwen is in a better place, one where she doesn't have to deal with all of the craziness of this city anymore."

"I guess I am too."

If only we knew.