The Final Rescue

--- 8 MONTHS LATER ---

I'm embarrassed to say it but, once Nik brought me back, I lost all will to live. I didn't even go to Sanju's funeral for fear of his wife smiting me on the spot. I wouldn't have blamed her, hell, I would've thanked her for it.

The only thing I do now is dive at the college campus- it has a beautiful outdoor pool- and dream. The fall makes me feel something, makes me remember that I'm alive and that I made it. The dream holds me anchored tightly to Tyler. For the first week after getting back, I had the same dream every single night; the beach, the voice, the man. Except each night certain details became more and more clear. The voice became Tyler's, and the man reaching out his hand had his face.

My friends still try to reach out, to bring back the old me. Nothing works, I'm still a shell of who I used to be. Part of me knows it's just from the trauma and I know I'll come back around eventually, but I can't help but feel there's a small portion that simply mourns for Tyler Rake.

I look down at the water from the diving board. It's so far. I wonder if Tyler knew how far he fell...

I jump, the fall creating that little pit in my stomach just before I hit the water. I'm alive. I sit at the bottom,

I wonder if Tyler was trained how to hold his breath...

I made it.

An unfamiliar feeling settles over me, causing me to open my eyes.

"Surface." a small voice tells me. "Surface and see what's waiting for you."

I push off the pool floor, gasping for air slightly. I turn to my right and nearly pass out at what I see. Tyler stands there, watching me from a distance. He looks healthy, he looks alive.

I scramble from the pool, tears and chlorine stinging my eyes. He smiles at me as I walk to him. I reach him, speechless.

"Hey, lass." his eyes are shimmery, like he's on the verge of tears.

"I..." a sob escapes my lips and I jump forward, wrapping my arms around him. His arms squeeze me tightly, lovingly. "You came back for me?" I ask, wiping tears.

"I told you I'd get you home. And this place ain't it, is it?" his hands rest on my arms, his warm touch feeling surreal.

"Just let me get dressed." I smile, ready to tear the fuck out of dodge with my white knight.