Chapter Nineteen

THE SAND WAS soft between my toes

THE SAND WAS soft between my toes. "So how do we do this?" I asked Derek.

He was leaning down to place the surfboard on the sand. The muscles in his back contracting as he was careful to not knock the fins. "Well first we have to add a coat of wax so you don't slip off, I'll show you."

On his knees he shifted to the side, beckoning me to sit next to him. I came around and knelt beside him on the sand, my body aware how close it was to his shirtless one.

"You ever wondered what surf wax looked like?" He pulled out a light blue box that said Sticky Bumps and began to open it.

I've never thought about it but I'm questioning it now, there's wasn't even the slightest idea forming.

He pulled out a circular lump. "Smell it," he pressed with a grin holding it in-front of my face.

"What no I'm not going to smell it."

He rolled his eyes. "Just smell the damn wax River."

He put the wax under my nose and my narrowing eyes widened as I took in the aroma of what smelt like a marshmallow.

"Good isn't it," he heaved in the smell himself. "If the oceans a drug this is an addictive part of it."

I watched Derek and the waves outlining behind him. He looked beautiful against this atmosphere, it suited him, but so did the soccer field. "Is surfing one of your main sports like Soccer or Baseball?" I asked intrigued. He seemed to know a lot about everything.

"I do a little bit of everything," he met my eyes and began. "I guess its like carrying a different part of each foster family with me. About six years ago I had a host family out in Southern California total surf junkies," he laughed.

"Must be nice," I replied.

"What going from foster family to foster family," he answered with a raised eyebrow.

Realising what I must've sounded like I shook my head feeling instantly bad. "No, no that's not what I meant-"

"Don't worry I know what you meant," he gave me a small smile and I felt better about my mistake. I haven't figured out if it was a touchy subject or not.

"But yeah it's nice picking up a bunch of different skills," he added and skimmed over my face with his chocolate soaked eyes. "Because then I get to teach girls named after water how to surf."

I laughed, he always has something to say.

"Ok, step one before ticking night surfing off from the list you have to learn to surf, hence the daylight."

"And to surf you have to stay on the board, hence the wax," I said when I saw where he was getting at.

"Look now she's getting it!" He nudged his shoulder with mine. I still had my oversized shirt on but the tingle of the touch went through the fabric and lit up my own skin with something other than warmth.