Growing Pains - one

You saw him at exactly the same moment he saw you. Thirteen years had gone by ever since you saw him, in this same castle before you both went your separate ways. You were pleased to notice he hadn't changed much. Sure, he had gotten older, just like yourself, but you would recognize those green eyes and kind smile everywhere. Remus Lupin was standing by himself, surrounded by the other teachers, some of whom were your own teachers during your time at Hogwarts.

As soon as Remus caught your eyes, he smiled and quickly approached you. He seemed happy to see a familiar face.

When he got closer you noticed he had definitely changed more than you assumed at first. His eyes, still kind and friendly, were lined and his face was covered in scars. His clothes were old and repaired at different places.

'Adaline Rivers? What a pleasant surprise to see you here,' he said after he placed his hand on yours for a moment.

'Or did you end up changing your last name?' he added with a grin. His comment made your blood freeze. You shook your head in response.

'It's just Rivers. How are you, Remus. I wasn't expecting you here.'

His grin turned into a proper smile.

'Really? I always assumed you would marry your high school sweetheart as soon as you left Hogwarts as Head Boy and Head Girl.'

You didn't respond right away. Maybe lying would be easier, but then again, the truth always came out and you weren't looking forward to having explain why you lied about such a crucial part of your life story. Something that had changed you forever.

'We did actually. Get married,' you said softly, hoping no other person but Remus would hear your words. His eyes widened, observing you with a puzzled look in his eyes, as if he was trying to solve a mystery.

'You got divorced.'

'He died.'

Remus took a step back, creating more space between the two of you and you immediately wish you never told him. His smile had disappeared as easily as it had appeared and he looked at you with worry written all over his face.

'I'm so sorry I asked, Adaline. I had no idea.' He extended his hand, but never let his fingers touch you. Instead he let them float in the air, as if he was not sure where to put them.

'It's okay, Remus. It happened five years ago. He got into an accident at work,' you explained with a weak smile. The widow part of your life story was always a bit awkward to discuss and you tried to avoid talking about it whenever it was possible.

'I didn't know you were a professor,' you mentioned casually, desperate to change the subject but at the same time genuinely surprised.

'I'm actually new here. Starting tomorrow as Defence Against the Dark Arts professor.' He said this with a proud smile.

'We have that in common. Not the Defence part, but I start tomorrow as well. Charms.'

'Obviously,' he said matter-of-factly. You raised your eyebrows in question.

'I remember you were an excellent student, even for a Ravenclaw. Professor Flitwick used to rave about your spell work all the time,' he explained. You averted your gaze when you felt your cheeks burning.

'It's only natural you take over from him during his sabbatical,' he added. Professor Dumbledore had contacted you personally to ask whether you would be willing to return to Hogwarts to teach Charms for a year while Professor Flitwick was away travelling. You felt deeply honored he even considered you and replied by returning owl you would love the job. It was very different from your usual work at the Ministry, where you had been working for the Department of Magical accidents and catastrophes. But Remus was right, your spell work was impeccable.