twenty four - the jorjor well year

Monday, December 31, 1984

"It is the end of the George Orwell year," you state, looking at yourself in the mirror with a grave expression.

"Jorjor Well?" Kazuo, who was lazily laying on your bed, echoes. You and Mona exchange a tired gaze. She was sitting on your desk, watching you make dramatic poses in front of the mirror to hype yourself up.

"George Orwell," you repeat. "You know, the book, 1984. It's the end of the George Orwell year."

"Right," Kazuo hums, uninterested. "Is it time to go yet?"

"No," you look at the clock. "The party starts at 7PM. There's still a good half hour."

"I'm so stressed out," Mona comments, descending from her perching spot on your desk to plop herself on the bed next to Kazuo. "I don't like parties."

"But Alex'll be there," you remind her before jumping in between her and Kazuo, making the latter squeak fearfully, and then giggle when you lend safely without hitting anyone.

"Yeaaah," she sighs, looking up at the ceiling. "I don't know what to think. Should I make a move?"

"Girl," Kazuo stares up as well, and you decide to focus your gaze on the little dents of the plafond. "This is your choice. We can't force you to do anything."

"Yeah," you nod. "But we think you should go for it. Seems to me he's very interested."

And it was true. Alex had came up to your group a few times at school, even eaten with you twice, and he was a cool guy. He went along with your crazy stories, even though most of the time he was utterly confused. A cool guy that couldn't stop looking at your best friend like a lost puppy.

"I'll see if I feel like it at the moment," Mona says, and you bite your lower lip pensively. There was still a small bit of uneasiness in the back of your mind at the thought of Mona having a boyfriend, but it was nothing important.

The three of you stay like this for a while, in the peaceful but not silent atmosphere, thanks to the music Kazuo turned on earlier.

You hear some rustling downstairs, and decide to go and check who it is. As you reach the top of the stairs, you see Steve is already there, leaning over the railing to see what was going on in the living room.

"Parents are here already," he warns you. "They'll probably want us to greet their friends when we get down."

"No way," you shake your head. "I think we're gonna sneak out by my window."

"You sneak out by your window?" Steve snaps his head towards you, frowning.

"Duh," you roll your eyes and pat his shoulder as you go back to your room. "You can use it if you want. Easy to climb down."

"You think I can't climb down my own window?"

"You're pulling the words right outta my mouth," you smile teasingly before disappearing in your room. Kazuo and Mona were in the same position you left them.

"Was it a burglar?" The boy asks in a lazy tone and a thick French accent, making it hard for you to understand at first.

"Worse. My parents."

"Shit," they both sit up in panic. "What do we do?"

"Calm down! You're allowed to be here, you know?"

"Your mom doesn't like me," Kazuo states. "Must be the leather jacket."

"Surely. You're a delinquent. In fact, do you guys want to embrace your criminal natures and climb out the window to avoid meeting my parents' coworkers?"