Chapter One: The Spark

After Chrissy went back to Eddie's trailer and took the Special K, she was able to calm down. Eddie sat with her in front of the trailer and watched her silently as she laid back on the top step and stared up at the stars. He didn't know what she was thinking about, but he knew that she was deep in thought. Chrissy felt relieved. She no longer felt the dark presence over her that she had been struggling with for the past week. It was as if a weight was lifted from her chest, but she was still troubled. She exhaled.

"Hey, you ok?" Eddie questioned.

"Yeah," Chrissy replied, "I just, I don't know, I just wish my life was different."

"You? Your life seems great," Eddie laughed.

"You would think that, since it looks that way on the outside," Chrissy said as she played with her sweatshirt drawstring. "I just wish I was more like you. You don't care what other people think of you, you have so much confidence!"

"Me!?" Eddie scoffed, "I could say the same as you. On the outside, sure, but on the inside, I care. I just always try to be true to myself. I'm not going to change who I am to make other people happy, screw that!" Eddie laid back, looking toward the stars. Chrissy stared at him and he glanced back at her.

"As long as you stay true to yourself, you're golden," Eddie said while looking back up at the starry sky. Chrissy let his words hang in the air as she thought about them for a while and what they really meant.

"You're right," she laid back next to him, "I feel so relaxed right now."

"That's good," Eddie laughed, "I'm glad I could help."

Chrissy laughed too, then suddenly became very serious.

"Thank you," she grabbed his hand. Eddie's senses heightened. "Not just for the special K, but for listening to me and being a friend. I don't have many friends that I can be honest with without them judging me or thinking that I'm crazy."

"Well, I never said I didn't think you were crazy," Eddie joked. Chrissy playfully swung her arm, hitting him in the chest as they both laughed.

"I'm kidding! I'm always here if you need me," Eddie looked over at her nervously.

Chrissy turned her body to face him with both hands under her cheek and smirked, "Thanks Eddie." She closed her eyes and curled up a little closer to Eddie. It just felt right to her. His scent was intoxicating. It wasn't a cologne he was wearing, it was him. Spice and tobacco. She breathed in and exhaled. It smelled like home, but a home that she had never been to.

Eddie's arms were folded behind his head and he looked down at her and hesitated, then put his arm around her and pulled her close. Eddie looked up at the stars and smiled to himself as Chrissy dozed off. He thought to himself, "Maybe this really will be my year."