Chapter Eight: Run For It

Eddie was walking into school when Gareth met up with him near the main entrance.

"So what the hell was that all about last night!?" He anxiously asked Eddie.

"Shh! Quiet!" Eddie looked around. People were looking at him but, thankfully, it wasn't because of what Gareth said.

"We're just friends," Eddie said calmly.

"Friends!?" Gareth looked around and whispered, "Since when are you and Chrissy 'The Queen' Cunningham, FRIENDS?" He gestured quotation marks with his fingers.

"Listen man, shit happens." Eddie didn't want to say too much. He flung open his locker and caught a pile of papers and books before they fell to the floor.

"Nice," Gareth said sarcastically. "But seriously Eddie, do you really think that whatever you guys are is a good idea?" Eddie, annoyed, kicked his locker door shut with the heel of his foot and walked towards Ms. O'Donnell's room.

"Listen Gareth, I don't even know if there is a "we", Jesus Christ, just relax." Eddie rolled his eyes and entered his class. Gareth remained in the hall and tried to convince himself that what Eddie said was true. The guys weren't scared of Jason and his friends, they just didn't have time for his bullshit. They cared about two things and two things only. Corroded Coffin and D&D. The first period bell rang.

"Shit!" Gareth stomped and headed down the hall.

    Chrissy sat in first period, doodling in her notebook smiling from ear to ear. She looked over and saw Andy glaring at her, yet again. She quickly looked back down at her notebook. Chrissy knew that she would have to tell Jason before he found out from someone else, it was the right thing to do. She didn't want to hurt him, but she knew what she wanted. And what she wanted was Eddie. She wasn't going to hide it. Chrissy promised herself that she was going to put her happiness first for once, without thinking about anyone else's opinion. Eddie helped her realize that is all that matters in life.

    The bell rang and Chrissy headed out of the classroom and nearly walked right into Jason.

"Oh, hi," she tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Can we talk?" Jason looked perturbed as he stood there leaning against the door frame with his hands in his letterman jacket pockets.

"Uh, yeah, of course," They walked to a less crowded area in the hallway.

"What are you doing, Chris?"

"Shit, he knows," she thought. "What do you mean?"

"Come on, I gave you time to think about everything," Jason brushed her cheek with the back of his hand. "Now, let's hangout tonight and we can get something to eat and forget that this all happened."

"Jason, we aren't getting back together," Chrissy took a step back.

"What are you talking about?" He said. She could tell that he was beginning to get angry.

"I mean, I just want to be friends. I care about you a lot but,"

"But what?" He cut her off. Chrissy focused her eyes on her shoe laces. She couldn't look at him.

"But, I've actually been spending time with someone else..." she trailed off.

"What!? Who!? Chrissy, I swear to God, I..."

"Jason! Just stop!" She said sternly and loud enough that a few students looked over at them. "I'm happy and I want you to be happy, too."

"Chrissy, who is it?" Jason became stiff and she could see his face getting more red by the second. He knew who it was. Chrissy had a lump in her throat. She looked around the halls as they were clearing for the next period.