i. draft night

2 YEARS EARLIER

2 YEARS EARLIER...

"YOU READY?" kaiya's voice rang through the nervous man's ears. he took another look at himself in the suit she picked out, blowing an additional breath as he nodded to his girlfriend of 5 years.

she turned his body to face her and caressed his face. "you look so good" she attempted to lift his mood.

it was successful as his face lit up in a smile. the view of his straight, white teeth made joy rush through her heart. "thank you baby." he replied, leaving a light kiss on her lips.

she smoothed down his blazer before sighing at a knock on the door. in came his mother, denise. she held a camera in her hand, capturing the couple standing at the mirror.

"aww, my babies." she cooed while staring down at the screen. kaiya and tyrese had been together since freshman year, so she treated kaiya like her own child. kaiya's family was... weird to say the least.

they didn't treat her right at all, something that the maxey's hated. they understood that the fox's just wanted the best for their oldest child, but they just had a son and tyrese could tell he was already being treated better than sekaiya ever was in her 19 years of living.

the girl never let it bother her though, allowing herself to live her life how she wanted to because that's all she could.

"ma! you got us mid-kiss" tyrese groaned, departing from his girlfriend's touch. he moved into a hug with his mother while the room went silent and cheers being heard from downstairs.

because of covid, the camera crew was here in dallas instead of las vegas. the rest of their small friend group was watching the draft in the TV, waiting for them to call his name.

she could sense tyrese was getting timid when they called the 5th player and he still was sitting there, so she brought him upstairs in order to calm his nerves.

she knew him like the back of her hand 'n knew he would regret being nervous on the best day of his life.

he'd worked endlessly for this goal; working out everyday of the week, eating right, putting his sport above the parties that he always got invited to.

he'd met massive success at the university of kentucky, so him being drafted was a no brainer for everybody.

even with all this, he still made a priority to make time for the people he loved. especially sekaiya.