6 t h w h i s p e r

He watches the raven haired setter carry your books with a frown playing at his lips. His headphones are playing at the loudest volume he could possibly tolerate. His golden eyes plead disinterest but he can't help but stare at your lips.

He can practically hear you say, "thank you Kageyama-kun, but you don't have to."

Tsukishima Kei finds himself filling in the void of silence in his life with you. Even his beloved pair of headphones weren't enough to halt it. He clenches his fist and sighs.

"I fucked up, didn't I?"

-

What was wrong with you? Even though he was being so nice to you like this, even though he was so gentle and kind to you. You should have forgotten about that asshole, you should hate him more than anything, but why? Since when was Tsukishima able to control your mind like this?

You're sitting on the sidelines watching Kageyama clean up after practice. All you want to do is to go home but you found that you couldn't just get up and leave. Not after Kageyama had taken the time to offer to walk you home. You watch him bicker with Hinata a bit and bite back your laughter as you watch their bickering slowly evolve into a fist fight, that is until a volleyball came headed straight towards you and slams painfully into your face.

"(Name)!!!"

Your hand goes up to touch your nose and as soon as you take it off, you can see your blood on your hands. You curse as you feel the metallic liquid on your hands, cringe in disgust as you can practically smell it, your stomach rolls at the texture and you feel like you're about to scream. That is until you can feel someone place something over your ears and cover your eyes.

You'd been able to wear Tsukishima's headphones once, and only once. But that was pre-douchebag Kei. That was before he had developed into the sarcastic and cynical boy he was today.   

That one moment had redefined your perception of sound. The way the beat of the music seemed to pulsate inside your mind, titillating the nerves in your head that defined sound, it made you feel as if the world had melted away. As if the world had been comprised simply of the beat and him. Holding onto your head, securing the headphones securely in your head, you can feel the nostalgia kicking in your heart.

Of course, this was why you knew that you were wearing his beloved headphones again. You are suddenly weightless, flying through the air, surrounded by the sound, and it ends suddenly as you are gently placed on the hard bench. Tsukishima takes his headphones off of you.

"Still scared of blood, are you," he asks with a ghost of a smirk on his proud features.

"Yeah."

"Focus on the music, I'll clean you up."

You nod as he places his headphones back on you. Your (eye color) eyes survey him silently as he fetches a wet cloth and a cold compress to place on your head. As he works on you, you try to detach yourself from now. The gentleness of his touches send shivers up your spine and the way he tenderly cared for you made you think of things you weren't supposed to think of. He finishes slowly and hangs you his handkerchief to staunch the bleeding.

You take off his headphones and hand it back to him.

"Thank you," you whisper.

He doesn't say anything back, only nodding in your direction, picking up his things, putting on his headphones, and leaving you.