13

Supporting himself with his hands on his knees, Alfie peered over the edge of the banking at the bicycle half-in, half-out of the water. An old bicycle, for certain, and one that was once cared for. Only a little tarnishing of the frame. Handlebar grips worn, but still with plenty of life left to them. The seat sat a smidge below the surface, but Alfie could see that had seen better days. A rip in the material allowing the foam inside to peek out.

"Aye. It's a bicycle alright." He let out a little grunt as he straightened up, reaching into his pocket for his favoured handkerchief, running it under his nose and returning it through habit. "An old Hanson Lightning, if I'm not mistaken. Such a shame."

"If we get it out, can it be fixed?" The lad laid down, reaching out for the handlebars and Alfie itched to drag him back. Children never saw danger until too late. "You can fix it, can't you? I've seen you do it."

It wasn't the fixing that concerned Alfie. Mayhap he could fix it, but getting it out of the canal could prove difficult. Not to mention that, though someone had thrown it away, Alfie doubted that someone had owned it. Most likely, someone had stolen it, ridden it until they broke it and tossed it aside as like it were nothing. That may involve informing the police and waiting a month afore finding out whether they could keep it.

The bicycle wasn't theirs to fix. Still, as he looked down at the machine, Alfie felt it a pity to let such a classic bicycle sit to rust in the canal, ruining both the environment and the bicycle itself. Hanson Lightning's were a popular bicycle, back in the day, and it wasn't a rare object, but Alfie would worry about it languishing here, forgotten and lost. Perhaps the original owner would like to have it returned?

"Get theesen back from that edge, lad! Thee mother'll have a fit if thy falls in!" He waved at Frederick, urging him back to his feet. "There's no telling what diseases are in yon water."

"I won't fall in. I can reach it, though." Frederick inched forward and Alfie's chest tightened as the lad hung ever further over the edge. "If you ..."

"I say, nay!" Even as he snapped, Alfie regretted it. Frederick wasn't his lad to shout at. "If thy doesn't step theesen back, I'm packing up the fishing gear and going home, and thy'll not come again. And thy'll not have my help to reach that bicycle."

The lad's eyes dipped, shoulders slumping, but he scuttled backward before lifting himself to sit, still looking down at the Lightning. He looked forlorn, resting his chin on his hand, elbow on his knee. His other hand picked and ripped at the grass before him. Alfie remembered such looks from when Charlie were a lad. As though the entire world had come crashing down around his ears and nothing could ever break them from the despair.

It had always bothered Alfie with Charlie and it bothered him now. Oh, he knew it was a manipulation alright. Children had that ability to pierce the hearts of kind people with the slightest droop of their mouths, and they knew damned well what they were doing, but it didn't stop Alfie fretting that he'd upset the lad.

"What about your fishing line? Maybe we could wrap it around the handles and pull it up?" As though, the very second before, he didn't look devastated, Frederick jumped to his feet, all exploding energy once again. "I'll go get it!"

"Nay." A softer voice, this time, remembering how easy children took offence. He pointed to the bicycle as the canal waters rippled past. "That there's a steel frame, lad. Not the frames as you get with modern bicycles. It'd break the line afore move it an inch."

Alfie rubbed his chin, fresh shaved that morning yet grey stubble, flecked with white, rasped against his fingers. He leaned over again, taking his bearings about the situation. The water didn't pass along the canal at any speed, lazy, low waves appearing as the bicycle bifurcated the passing water. It didn't appear as the bicycle had become stuck in the dirt and weeds of the canal bed, but that didn't mean it would be easy to pull the machine out.