one

Marcy walked out of the airport's glass doors and briefly looked around for a certain blonde woman. Then, she saw her.
     "Sasha!" she called out. Her insides filled with joy and a strangely familiar fluttery feeling. She ignored it and ran toward Sasha, who had her arms out, offering a hug.
     Mid-run, Marcy fell flat on her face, a very in character thing for her to do.
     "I'm okay!" She said, quickly getting up.

     As they walked into the aquarium's doors, Sasha asked, "Do you miss Anne?"
     "Every frogging day!" Marcy exclaimed.
     They found the entrance to the exhibit, and Sasha checked her phone.
     "There's about ten minutes until it closes. What do you wanna do?"
     Marcy thought for a few seconds. There were so many awesome things about the aquarium.
     "Let's go see the sharks." She suggested.
     Sasha nodded and they started walking, searching for the exhibit.
     Marcy looked over at Sasha, "Do you miss Anne?"
     "Sure I do, especially our friendship."
     "We can be friends again, y'know?"
     Sasha looked over at Marcy. "Yeah, I'd like that."
     They arrived at the shark exhibit.
     "Do you visit Anne often?" Marcy asked.
     "No, not since our first year of high school. We still text from time to time though."
     They walked in silence, not paying much attention to the various marine animals in the aquarium.
     "Two minutes left, we should head back." Sasha suggested.
     Marcy nodded and they walked the other way.
     When they arrived, Marcy looked up and noticed a sign that read, "Get Lost in Amphibia". She felt a lump in her throat.
     Then, she looked back down and saw Anne—her best friend, the one who'd forgiven her after she'd sent her to another realm full of giant bugs and talking frogs. The one who'd been there to experience it with her.
     Marcy waved excitedly, grinning widely. Anne smiled and made her way over to them. They hugged each other, memories from Amphibia rushing back with the embrace. It surprised Marcy that Sasha hadn't talked to Anne much after she moved. It should have brought them closer, but people seemed to drift apart no matter what.
     Marcy noticed Sasha's hand on her back, making her stomach feel like it was spinning. They pulled apart and walked out of the exhibit doors.
     They talked with Anne, but Marcy's eyes frequently drifted over to Sasha. She watched her hair flow as the car drove and the shining reflection of the sun in her eyes. Something about Sasha drew Marcy in as she lowered her sunglasses to block the sun. What was this feeling? It felt vaguely familiar, but she couldn't put her finger on it.
      It was dusk by then, Marcy's favorite time of day. She looked up at the sky, which was mostly a mix of orange and indigo.
     Sasha and Anne were talking, but Marcy had zoned out. She snapped back when Sasha asked, "You okay, Mar-Mar?"
     "Yeah, sorry, zoned out." She replied.
     "Your hair is so long now!" Anne said.
     "Ten years' worth of growth will do that to you!" Marcy smiled.
     "Anne, your hair looks so good in a ponytail. And I love that scrunchie." Sasha said.
     "Oh, thanks, Sash!" Anne lightly poked at the scrunchie.
     Marcy stared at Sasha. The way she talked was endearing, and she would willingly listen to her voice for hours, no matter what she was talking about.
     "We're here," Sasha stopped the car. They were at a pier with a small shack on the beach. The sunset was a beautiful sight.
     While Sasha and Marcy walked out on to the pier, Anne went to the shack to get them drinks. When they got to the edge, Marcy asked, "The sun is beautiful isn't it?"
     "Yeah," Sasha said, turning to Marcy. Her lips were parted and her head was tilted to the side. "Do you like sunsets?"
     "They're nice," Marcy said.
     They stood together in silence until Anne returned to the group and handed them their drinks. Marcy received a green one. They sat down with their legs dangling off the pier, watching the sunset. It was silent and Marcy could hear the waves crashing onto the sand of the beach. She stirred her drink and tried it. It was nice to have something after such a long flight. The silence was comfortable, and Marcy could see airplanes flying through the golden clouds.
     They watched the sunset together as they finished their drinks. Afterward, they took a photo together and Anne drove home. Sasha and Marcy sat in the former's car for a while and talked. When they got back to Sasha's house, Marcy unloaded her suitcase from Sasha's car and they sat down inside.
     "Nice place, Sash." Marcy smiled.
     "Thanks, I was thinking we could watch a movie. I have a TV in my room." Sasha said.
     Watching a movie with Sasha was something that Marcy hadn't done in years.
     "That sounds great!" She said, getting up from the chair.
     Sasha led her down the hall to a room with posters of rock bands on the wall along with swords hanging on display. They sat down on her bed and she turned on the TV.
     "What do you wanna watch?"
     Marcy knew that Sasha probably wouldn't like to watch War of the Warlocks, so she said, "You can choose, I don't mind."
     "Marce, you're the guest! You get to choose."
     Marcy took the remote and looked through movies. She chose one that she remembered Sasha liking.
     "I love this movie!" Sasha said excitedly.
     Marcy smiled, glad she had picked a good one. They watched together, and as the night got colder, they sat closer and covered up more. Soon, they were huddled together under a blanket.
     Marcy could feel Sasha's arm on hers, and she could see the scar on her face. She was too nervous to get any closer, so she continued watching the movie.
     Eventually, she felt Sasha's steady breathing and looked over to see her eyes closed. She had fallen asleep. Marcy carefully exited the bed and went back to the living room. She sat on the couch and got her computer from the suitcase to work on her webcomic. As she drew, she thought about what she had done today. The California breeze on her face at the beach was comforting, and being a webcomic artist, where she worked didn't matter. Plus, Sasha said that she could stay as long as she'd like. Marcy paused the drawing and took out her journal. She had found it right before she'd flown to Los Angeles, and written in a page or two. It had been lost in her boxes from middle school for years, she had completely forgotten about it. She began writing.
     She wasn't sure how long after writing in the journal, but she fell asleep after the long day of flying and reuniting with her friends.