two

content warning for this chapter: smoking

     Marcy awoke to sunlight seeping through the windows. She was on Sasha's couch, her computer and journal were both on the floor. She put them back into her suitcase and got up. She realized that she was still wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Her denim jacket was hanging by the door. She took clothes from the suitcase and changed into them in the bathroom. A black and white graphic t-shirt with wide black jeans. After getting ready, she looked around the house for Sasha.

      "Sash?" She called.

      She decided to look outside after a minute or two. Sasha was leaning on the deck's railing, smoking a cigarette. This didn't seem like something that Sasha would do, but Marcy wouldn't judge. Honestly, she had never cared about the smell. She stood next to Sasha and looked over at her.

     "When did you wake up?" Marcy asked.

     Sasha took the cigarette out of her mouth, "About an hour ago."

     Marcy was embarrassed. "Sorry for waking up so late, I'm usually up really early."

     "Hey, I don't mind! I'm glad you were able to sleep. Besides, it's probably the time zone's fault."

     "Yeah, you're right," Marcy said, "I didn't know you smoked."

     "Oh, yeah. Bad habit of mine." Sasha said.

     "The sunrise is beautiful." Marcy observed.

     "Huh... I never realized until you pointed it out."

     Marcy looked over at Sasha. The blonde girl was wearing a white crochet top with matching shorts. Her hair was in a black headband and her eyes reflected the peach-colored sky. She looked almost angelic.

     She snapped out of it when Sasha smiled at her. "You good, Marce?"

     "Oh, yeah, sorry." Marcy's stomach flipped, but it was a delightful feeling.

     Sasha laughed. Marcy didn't notice herself smiling at the sound. Their hands brushed against each other for a moment, which—surprisingly—made Marcy's stomach flip again. She noticed Sasha turning her face to the other direction.

     "Your hair is pretty."

     It took Marcy a moment to realize that the voice which had spoken the words was hers. She looked away, flustered.

     Sasha smiled, Marcy wondered if the red tinge on her cheeks was from the rising sun.

     "Thanks," The blonde said, fidgeting with her fingers.

     "I'm starving, should we go somewhere to eat? I'll pay." Marcy suggested.

     "That sounds nice." Sasha said, placing the cigarette on the railing of the deck.

     They put their shoes on and decided to take the subway after some discussion. They headed down and sat on a bench near it, waiting for it to arrive. The crowd made Marcy unsettled, so she sat close to Sasha.

     "Do you take the subway a lot?" She asked.

     "Yeah, pretty often." Sasha said, looking over at her.

     "It's strange," Marcy said, looking around.

     "Eh, you get used to it after a while." Sasha smiled, which brought Marcy comfort.

     The subway arrived and they got on, sitting beside each other on some cushioned chairs.

     When the train started moving, Marcy looked around. She noticed someone staring at her, and moved closer to Sasha.