Be alright

Summary: Natasha and Wanda break up, and Natasha is suddenly reminded of what emotions feel like. Based on the song by Dean Lewis.
Warnings: angst/ eventual fluff
Word count: 3.6k

Natasha's gaze lifts from the floor, settling on her pale green eyes. Although, they seem different this time. Instead of their usual sparkle, they're dull, more grey than green. Natasha's left wondering whether the worry lines on her face have always looked so vivid. Only this time they seem to have invaded her laugh lines too. Natasha doesn't allow her attempt at avoiding her gaze.

There's a strange welling of water all caught up in her eyes and it confuses her for a moment. A single, salty tear falls from her left eye and Natasha's sudden fears are confirmed.

Wanda's head sharply turns away, but not before Natasha notices another tear fall, dropping delicately onto the pavement below her.

She swallows hard. "Wands," her voice cracks.

She desperately stares at her, as if that's going to make everything better again. It doesn't.

"Wanda, detka, please look at me," Natasha asks, trying to not cry herself. She doesn't understand. Everything was fine. Nothing happened.

"Don't call me that." It's harsh and rather uncalled for. So much so that Natasha feels herself gulp. She backtracks. "I'm sorry I-"

A cold laugh escapes Natasha's lips. And as quickly as Wanda could tear down her walls, they build back up. Traces of emotions dissipate from her eyes, steeling her face. "Don't call you what?"

Wanda shakes her head, "forget it."

Natasha reaches for her hand but she flinches and pulls it away. But not before her fingertips brush against her knuckles. It's cold. It's never cold. Or rather, never had been before.

Natasha's own voice betrays her, "what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry-" she chokes on her own sobs, beginning to spiral. Her usual smiley face has converted to the dark side. Her eyes are blood shot and puffy and she sniffles. The sight alone breaks her. "We- I can't."

Natasha waits.

"It's not your fault." She tries again, voice breaking effortlessly. "You were so good to me, Nat. I- I loved you but-"

Loved.

All she hears is white noise. Her whole body is trembling, trying everything in her power to not break down. She fails, a single tear falling.

She watches Wanda's lips move but her ears have already tuned it out. Natasha pinches the bridge of her nose, trying anything to steady herself. Her head is spinning. The world is spinning. Everything is wrong.

The colour drains from her face at Wanda's last words. "We can't be together anymore."

Her tear stained cheeks are red as she wipes her eyes. Natasha's frozen. Wanda leans up and pecks her cheek ever so lightly. The contact burns and Natasha wants to run away. Where? Anywhere. Anywhere but here.

Her sad gaze lingers for a moment too long before Wanda's walking away.

The worst part being that Natasha still loves her.

***

Natasha's basically ripping my hair out as she paces Yelena's living room. She couldn't bare being in New York anymore. It reminds her too much of her.

A shaky hand threads through Natasha's knotted hair, loose and messy all over her shoulders. There's a lump in her throat, too large to swallow. Her chest is swelling up which isn't really surprising since there's now a gap where her heart used to be.