15. False God

All Percy needed was a quick, rejuvenating dip in the water to clear his system of the poison. He probably could've used other means, but some habits die hard. He'd been a mortal son of Poseidon for much longer than the god of demigods.

It still irked him that he could be poisoned as a god. What was even the point to immortality if a simple fish tank kept him sedated? It wasn't out of the norm for gods to be captured, but the aquarium trap was just plain insulting. And after the ordeal with Jason and Leo, Percy was not in a very good mood.

So when Piper threw her dagger into the water to get his attention, that was the last straw.

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Piper's dagger. "You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! Who do you think you are, graecus? Rome does not need a false god!"

Percy used the winds to fly above the water then landed on its surface, leaning down to get in Octavian's face while restraining him in a whirlpool. He willed his outfit into the most ornate Roman armor he could imagine with pure, imperial gold and purple gemstone accents in symbols that represented the legion and the gods. A golden laurel wreath adorned his head, riptide securely on his hip. Everything about him screamed of a Roman deity.

"Do I look like a graecus to you? I may be better at managing my counterparts, but make no mistake, Augur, I am a Roman god. I will be shown the respect all gods are owed."

Percy reached down and slammed his hands onto Octavian's ears, destroying his ear drums. Octavian screamed in pain. He tried to escape, but the water held him tight. The other Romans were trembling in fear of the god before them, muttering their apologies and begging for mercy.

You refused to listen, Percy spoke into Octavian's mind, his whimpering only growing louder, so now you will only ever hear the commands of the gods. Remember this and obey.

He turned to the other Romans. "You will take the augur back to Camp Jupiter. He will serve in the temples silently, have the senate dishonorably discharge him. Centurion Kahale will assume command until the praetors have returned. Let the legion know I order them to march east, attacking any of Terra's forces on the way. They will take arms alongside their Greek brethren in the fight against the Earth Mother, as it is the will of the gods. Failure to do so will bring my wrath upon New Rome and the Twelfth Legion. Do I make myself clear?"

Utterances of "Yes, Lord" tumbled out before Percy flew away, letting the water spit the Roman demigods to shore.

"Let's go," he said to his fellow questers.

Hazel frowned. "What did you do to him?" She was clearly talking about Octavian who was clutching his head and sobbing.

"Taught him a lesson. He'll live." Without another word, they all climbed aboard the Argo II.

»-«-»-«-»-«

Piper had gone below to Iris-message Jason and warn him to get back quickly while Hazel had gone to find Coach Hedge and tell him to come on deck.

Reyna hesitantly stepped up to the still Roman Percy. The display of godly power and his demand for respect left her unsettled. "My Lord—"

"Percy."

"...Percy, we need to get this ship to Fort Sumter." Percy nodded and went over to the mast.

Reyna had heard that Percy could control ships with only his willpower. This time, he didn't disappoint. Ropes flew on their own—releasing the dock ties, weighing the anchor. The sails unfurled and caught the wind. Meanwhile Reyna fired the engine. The oars extended with a sound like machine-gun fire, and the Argo II turned from the dock, heading for the island in the distance.