Prologue

-
"We're only haunted by the things we refuse to accept,"

-"We're only haunted by the things we refuse to accept,"

-

I woke as the car went over a speed bump, knocking my head into the window-sill. The sun had been setting and landed directly in my eyes. My hand shielded them as I pulled myself to sit up. Sitting next to me, my dad looked over and smiled as he turned down the radio, making it easier for me to hear. The cat at my feet rubbed her head against me.

"Hello, bug,"

"Hi," I smiled back and looked out my window, seeing RVs parked in every open spot, "Almost there?"

"This is the place he told us to meet," He looked around for the vehicle he only had a description of.

I sat up more and leaned forward toward the dash, "There," My hand shot out as I pointed to the RV. "I can see Ian,"

He thanked me as he pulled up next to it. On the outside, my brother waved at us as his dog jumped on him. I laughed and turned to face my dad to find him pulling out the keys. The two of us unbuckled and filed out of the car. My first instinct was to go to my father's side and stay there as we walked over, but I knew I couldn't hide behind him forever. So, I shook off my worry and walked over. Thankfully Atlas, my brother's dog, ran up and circled my legs. I bent down and scratched him behind his ears.

"Eby," A voice called out. When I looked back up, my brother was a few feet from me. I pet Atlas one last time and then ran to him; my arms went around his middle as he laughed and wrapped his arms around my back.

And I was okay again. The warmth he showed everyone flowed over me as I rested my forehead on his shoulder. "I know it's been a while, but ease up kid," He laughed as I apologized and pulled back.

"A while? Ian, it's almost been a year," His head tilted to the side as he thought about it. "Wow, time moves faster out of school,"

I pushed him back, "Yeah, rub it in as-"

"Hey," My father warned. I glared at him over my shoulder before giving him an innocent smile while signing the rest where he couldn't see. In his arms he held Alice, she was burrowed into the dip of his forearm as Atlas tried to sniff her.

"Where's Grandpa?" The door to the RV opened, getting all of our attention to face it. The girl who walked out wasn't expecting everyone to be there. She had four sodas in her arms, holding two bags of chips with her teeth. We held eye contact for a minute before a smile appeared on her face, and the chips dropped.

"Shit," She said and looked down at them, then shrugged, "Eh,"

I laughed, and Ian and I went over to help her. He took the sodas as I grabbed the chips.

Before I could properly stand up, she threw herself on my back, arms going around me and squeezing. A laugh tumbled out as I tried to keep us upright.

"Ah, little rabbit, you're here," She squealed in my ear, finally letting go. I set the chips on the picnic table a few feet away. Ivy had gone over and hugged my dad. He returned it as they both got to talking.