Grief

They ran through the house, the mid aged man roughed up and limping as they tried to find something, someone. The door burst open, their eyes half hazardly darting around when they saw him. They'd been far too late. He lay, gone, cold and empty. Their legs shook as they walked over, falling on their only friend once again they failed to keep him safe. He couldn't be gone. The two had just been talking not too long ago, right? He could be saved. He had to! They whispered light healing spells, and well, the wounds closed, his heart did not start.

With every spell, a new wave of frustration flew through their veins. "DAMNIT, GET UP! I'M SORRY OK I'M SORRY THERE NOW GET UP!" They screamed their hands, shaking as they gripped his robes. Their head and torso bounced lightly with each hiccup. "You were right, ok?! I- I need you here! You said you needed me too so get up! Pl-please... DAMNIT! DAMN YOU, DAMN THEM DAMN EVERYONE IN THIS BLOODY SH!T HOLE!" They screamed and cried like a child throwing a tantrum. Hitting the others' chest like a drum as if it'd make his heart beat again. "If i- if I just, maybe I-I could. 𝘧𝘺𝘤𝘬." They grumbled, resting their head on his chest.

He wasn't ever warm. His hands and skin somehow always felt cold, but they always had a lingering warmth, like when you walk for a long period of time, and then when you stop, you can still feel it. He no longer had a small amount of warmth. Without it, the man they laid their head on, the one they kneeled in front of balling their eyes out. He wasn't the man they knew, the one they grew up with, laughed with. This wasn't him. It was simply his now empty shell. They couldn't have that. He couldn't die, not like this, not in such an unhonorably way.

They raised, lifting him with the little muscle they had. This wouldn't be his tomb. He deserved better than a dead man's hiding spot. As they carried the man in their arms, they held their wand tightly, walking to the whomping willow as the tears continued, their leg didn't feel any better with their body feeling as though it was filled with lead. Somehow, they go through the weeping willow and softly laid him down facing the school. With another softly spoken spell, flowers cushioned the man lying stiff.

"Don't worry, friend, I'll find a way to bring you back. "

And the war eventually won. They threw themselves into their work, worrying those around them before cutting them off and not contacting anyone anymore, til finally they believed they created the solution to their problems, not considering the faults in it or thinking about the consequences of the short cuts they took to make the time changing necklace.

They rolled the pendent between their fingers to go back to that day, just a few hours earlier to stop his death, but as things moved around, the necklace began to shoot off sparks of magic all around before hitting them in between their eyes and as their consciousness quickly began fading away they felt their body seemingly change, previously healed injuries and scars began opening and then closing without a trace. Pain being the last thing they saw, they laid against the ground well, and everything changed.

But as their eyes opened to a void. "Am i, dead?" Their voice was scratchy and tired, but their tone sounded almost hopeful. "Almost, if it wouldn't have been for what you used." A voice caught their attention it was familiar as it echoed off the infinite walls. Turning, they saw a figure that glowed and flowed more than any magic ever spell casted, almost like a patronus, except no details could be seen. "What do you mean, who are you?" The figure stood unmoving, no mouth to be seen as sounds came from it.

"Every sorcerer has a source of magic. It makes up their souls and dies out with the soul. The magic used for the turner became unstable and connected with me. If the metal used hadn't already been incased in magic, it might've worked. But you're also lucky. It had been, or you wouldn't get the chance to make your wish come true." The explanation was both vague and informative. "What do you mean? This makes no sense -" They were cut off harshly as the figured once calm flow became almost glitched, but only for a split second. "THEN LISTEN. Do you want to save him? Even if it hurts?" Without hesitation, they answered.

"Always. I wish I could've saved him every day since then."

"Then save him."

They felt a strange tangle on their wrist as the figure held their wrist. Their veins glowed before they fell back into nothingness. For the 100th time, they stared into nothingness as It stared back, like the familiar eyes of their dead friend.