1. Prostitution

The word prostitution was banned in the Kyogoku house. we were to be called as 'courtesans.' but it's pretty obvious as to who and what we courted. 

Men. 

"Some girls here genuinely like their job,- I don't understand how,-  and most don't like it here. the bold ones would kill themselves, and others would commit ashinuke. it's pretty understandable in my opinio-" 

"Y/N!" The oiran yelled with her voice booming behind you. you flinched and the other children you were gossiping with turned pale and ran away back to their jobs. You, too, turned pale. slowly turning yourself around, You locked your gaze to the floor, waiting for the harsh slap on the head. It was predictable.

the dark lit hallway leading to the oiran's quarters were always bustling with people, but right now, it was dead quiet with not even a fly to be seen.

You shut your eyes closed, feeling the slap even before it came down.

Whack

"I told you to clean my room, no?" Yatamahime-sama sneered. As you were saying, to the girls who ashinuked or killed themselves, you totally understood them. Because everyday, you too, hoped to become 18 and strong enough to run away. 

"You made the same idiotic mistake when you were five, and without fail you still make them when you're 16?" The oiran scowled holding and shaking chunk of your hair, you felt a pang of tears in your eyes. the other girls whimpered beyond the corner far away, peeking to see you get hit.

"I'm sorry." You yelped, feeling the pain as your voice began to ripple and the teaes threatened to roll down. but they never fell.

This was almost a routine for you two. As the only remaining kamuro of the Oiran, (the other girl was beat to death by Yatamahime) you held full responsibility for everything that went wrong around the Oiran's path.

After receiving the beating, you retreated back to your quarters, in a small room behind the Oiran's room. Some girls pitied you, but most others snickered and whiseperd amognst them

"She deserves that. Bitch thinks that she's way better than us."

It was already dark outside, and it meant that the oiran will be too busy to yell at you for the day.

"Why aren't you assisting the Oiran when she's meeting clients?" The servant girls once asked before. 

"she thinks that I would only make more mistakes than before." You lied to them, lightly brushing her off with a smile. 

In reality, she didn't want you inside cuz she thought you'd flirt more than do your job. 

--

"One more week and I'm 17.." you said to yourself as you wrote inside your notebook, using it somewhat like half free-therapy and half a diary. After finishing, you put it back inside the closet, safe-keeping it.