Part 15

**

Months pass and you didn't expect for things to change as much as they have.

When Jungkook left your apartment, you silently asked him to make sure that things wouldn't change between you two, but he'd told you things that you didn't know how to react to, keeping that conversation parked, leaving him high and dry. Heartbroken too, but he wouldn't tell you that.

Movie nights no longer happen. You still message each other every few days but they're barely conversations. You'd drop by the supermarket but you're now unaware of his new shift; the same goes with the club.

Yoongi insists that Jungkook has just been really busy. Between physical therapy and taking additional shifts, he just really hasn't had much time to spare. Whatever time he can get where he's not working, he uses it to rest.

You suppose it makes sense if he distances himself from you, especially since the last time movie night was supposed to take place, you had to cancel because you had to see Jin. That, too, is a change in itself.

Despite it all, you're just glad that Jungkook is no longer fighting. He kept his promise and continues to promise you that you won't have to worry about him again. It doesn't change the fact that you miss him terribly, though.

Jungkook, on his end, just wants to do right by you. All those weeks of living with you made him realize many things - one of them was how much stress he really put you through and that he doesn't want that for you anymore.

Another realization, the one that scared him more than anything, was that you and Jin could really be something, and it might be too late for him now, especially if you've already found the person who can be good for you. But now it's clear to Jungkook what's good for him, and in a moment of epiphany, he decides that if he really wants to be happy, he knows he can only be that with you. He could at least try.

It's why he's standing by your door, incessantly knocking, waiting for you to open it for him like you had all those times before.

You get up from your bed due to the banging on your door and as you open it, your eyes widen and your heart skips a beat at the sight of your best friend. You let him in and it's instinct for you to grab his face, move it side-to-side, and check for any wounds or injuries on his body.

"Is everything okay? Are you hurt?" You ask, turning him around and checking his hands for any cuts, just in case. Jungkook's eyes are locked on you, following your movements.

"I can't live without you, ___," is what he greets you with.

You sigh at this and look at him with somber eyes. You don't like him thinking this way, like you're a necessity in his life. "Jungkook, we're not doing this again. I told you, you can."

"I can't. And even if I can, I don't want to. Because I know now -- no, I'm sure now, that you're the most important thing in my life and I'll lose more if I don't do anything. I'll lose you, and I can't lose you," he says, the constant line making another appearance.

"Jungkook, you won't lose me. I'll always be here for you, I told you."

"As what? As my best friend? Just my best friend?"

"What else would I be?" You ask, feeling like cowering because you're not sure if you're ready for what he's about to say.

"Something more. I want you, ___. I want to be with you and I need you to know that even if I know it's too late," he sighs. He may like Jin for you but he definitely likes himself more for you.

"I want you for you and for what you do for me," he continues. "Because you're wrong. No one else can do what you do for me because all they want are the good parts, the ones that they can benefit from. They don't want my baggage, they don't want my past, not the scars that are still healing, not the doubts I have of myself, none of that. They don't want a life with me, the way you do. You've always accepted me for who I am. Not everybody can do that because I'm such a pain in the ass and probably the most difficult person to love but you do anyway."