Nine

"The building has been evacuated, I opened the doors to the asylum and all the patients left, I killed the guards. I want you to run to the police and make sure your story is heard" He informed.

"You're not coming?" I asked and he chuckled, the screams behind us almost fading at this moment.

"I'm dead, Muriel" He stated.

"No, please, you're the only one I have" I sobbed and he smiled again.

"I'm always with you, Muriel, feel me and I'll be there" He smiled before turning me around and pushing me towards the door lightly.

"Pro..Promise me I'll see you again?" I asked, sobbing and he grabbed me, kissing me ever so gently.

"I love you" He whispered next to my ear before I felt him fade.

"Clinton?" I asked, looking around but only hearing screams from the two culprits.

He's gone.

I ran out of the corridor and through the building, crying at the sight of the halls because this was the last time I'd be seeing it. Cold embraced my feet as I ran all the way through the forest, glancing behind myself to make sure I didn't have anyone chasing me. My heart hurt from leaving Clinton behind but this evil had to end. Even if it meant losing someone.

I don't know how long it took me to run but in a few seconds, I was in a clearing, an open road, and freedom.

Clinton

I glanced at her retreating figure in the forest from the asylum's window. A smile made its way onto my lips, watching her almost trip on twigs. She was the first feeling I'd gotten in eternity, but we were so, so different. Maybe we were meant to be, just not in this life.

The screams from behind me echoed in the corridor and I let out a growl, silencing them. I walked into the room, watching Freeman look at me in despair. He had a family- which was better off without him. Beside him, the blonde, Laura, was shedding ugly tears, praying to God as if she won't be dragged into hell.

"Hattersley, that ring a bell, doc?" I asked Freeman.

"Clinto..Clinton" He stutters.

"Your father killed me, literally, It would be gladdening to return the favour" I smiled, allowing him to see the inhumane form I was blessed with in the afterlife. I can't see what it looks like, but pretty sure I've got looks that could kill, that too,quite literally.

"You can't punish me for something my father did!" He shouted.

"Oh but I can punish you for something that you did" I said, walking towards the window in the room. Muriel was long out of sight and I made a silent prayer that she'd be safe. I let out another sigh, letting my eyes linger in the forest before letting the humanity left in me to fade.

I felt myself transform into the creature I feared in my life, shaking the entire building with a growl and shredding Freeman and Laura into pieces.

They died screaming.

Just like every innocent one they killed.

Scared.

I returned to my human form and fell onto the floor with a thud, screaming loudly. Nothing was left of me, just like this. Crying wouldn't work, screaming wouldn't work, I was dead. But the phantoms around me, the ghosts of the innocents promised to terrorise and haunt this place forever.

They were traumatised.

I looked out the window again, hoping to see Muriel again, hurt when I couldn't see her but happy to know that she was far from this hell. I remember the first day she was brought here, I knew her father. He always carried around pictures of hers, in necklaces and diaries, until Freeman ripped them from him and let him suffer.

That was the first time I'd seen her, in pictures, falling for the innocent girl hidden inside. But the day she was brought here, I vowed to keep her safe, to keep a father's gem safe. Maybe because my own father was a wretch of a person, I wanted to keep another's loved one safe.

But what I didn't know was how hard I'd fall for someone so different from me. We had generations of people between us, yet nothing stopped us from being together. But in the end, you learn to walk away.

The phantoms around me lurked in the hallways, wailing and crying. Expressing fear.

But what I do know is that in years to come, Muriel would be the strongest one out of all survivors.

Me? I'm already dead.

A few hours later, the sound of police cars echoed around the asylum. The sky had turned dark and red and blue lights illuminated the forest.

I smiled, because I knew she made it out safe.

"Right there, officer" She pointed towards the window and her eyes widened slightly at the sight of me. The officer also looked but he couldn't see me, and turned to order his officers to raid the building.

Doors were kicked open and police officers flooded inside. I stood in the middle of the room, watching them widen their eyes at the destruction in front of them. Bloody pieces of Freeman and Laura, that clearly looked like whatever killed them, weren't human.

I walked over Freeman's head and out of the corridor. No matter how hard I tried to stay away from Muriel, my feet always led me to her. When I saw her, she was in her room, explaining the situation to the senior officer and crying all the while. As her eyes landed on me, she stopped talking and I smiled, leaning against the doorframe. The officer, confused at where she was looking, glanced back but looked right through me.

"Everything alright, miss?" He asked and I smirked, walking away from her room. I heard her muffled okay before she walked out of the room pretending like she wasn't looking for me. I walked in front of her but she couldn't see me anymore.

I walked into the library and let her get lost in the maze of shelves. I let her see me for a brief second as I walked behind a shelf and she chased me but lost me again.

"Stop messing around, Clinton" She spoke and I chuckled. I could sense that she heard me from the sight of her smile.

"It's not funny," She said.

"Oh it is" I replied from behind her ear but wouldn't let her see me.

"Excuse me, miss" The senior officer walked in, ruining our little moment and glancing at Muriel worriedly. He was short and bulky and had his uniform sticking to his body with sweat.

"One of my men was brutally scratched, we need to leave. The government might demolish this place" he answered before hurrying out of the room. Looks like my phantoms are having fun too early,

Muriel looked at me, the smile on her face absent. It looked like a single blow would shatter her and everything inside her would drown the world.

"It has to be done," I spoke with another smile.

"No, it doesn't have to be and stop saying that you're dead, I'd play the ouija board to call you every night if I'd have to. I'd join some satanic cult to summon you or be a witch for all that matters. You don't always have to leave!" She spoke but shook my head.

"Not in this life, darling, maybe in another, we'll be together again" I kissed her forehead and moved back. She stared at me through teary eyes and I placed the barrier once again between us.

Once again, she couldn't see me.

"I hope they whoop you in hell" She cursed through tears and I chuckled to myself before leaving the library. People die to rid themself of sorrow, I believe sorrow never dies.Never even in the life after. Humanity is a creation of despair, cursed to be followed around by sorrow.