After Life

He never woke. He just felt himself come into existence, and was not aware of his surroundings for a very long time. He was content to simply be for a little while.

He never felt the sensation of opening his eyes, but open they were. And what he saw both awed him and filled him with peace.

He took everything in at once, which would normally be overwhelming. He stood on a mirrored surface that made the cobalt sky seem endless. White puffs of cloud drifted across all angles of his vision. He recognized this place, even after so long.

He sensed another presence. He glanced down, betraying no emotion as he spotted a black cat.

"Oh. It's you." His voice no longer cracked with age. He smiled softly.

The cat simply plopped down and curled it's tail around its legs. It cocked its head and looked up at him.

He didn't know how long they stared calmly at each other in silence, but the cat was gone. The silence was broken.

He heard the melancholy notes of a violin filter through the air. Chopin's Ballade No. 1, Op. 23. The song he had played the moment he had sensed Kaori's passing.

There she was. Her hair had returned to its golden glory, instead of the pale straw he had witnessed during her last weeks. The music had vanished, but it's resonance remained. She held her precious violin limply at her side.

She slowly approached him. Her eyes were glistening. So much emotion held in them.

"Kousei?..." That voice. Like tinkling bells. Just as he remembered it.

"Ka...Kaori."

He didn't feel his legs move, but he had closed the meager distance between them and held her slight, yet healthy figure in his arms.

She still smells of her parent's bakery.

His shoulders shook with laughter. And tears.

He struggled for something to say.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Instead, he said, "I love you, too." His voice rang through the space around them.

Her arms had wrapped around him without his realization, and he felt her move her lips to his ear. He shivered. Her grin was in her voice.

"Did you bring me canelés?"

(Comments appreciated. Also, for the record, I cried roughly 3,000 times while writing this. Just saying.)

🎉 Je bent klaar met het lezen van Ongaku Never Dies (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso) (Two-part) 🎉