Happy Birthday (Joel Miller) (Fluff-ish)

(This one shot takes place in 2012 before Ellie and Tess) There's gonna be a part two fyi

You and Joel were walking around just outside the QZ after Joel got permission.

"What are we doing Joel?" You ask, as you follow him, "And why is this so important?"

"I get permission to leave the QZ for a brief period, which is one of the hardest things to do, and you're complaining?" He says, as he turns to you, "Besides, we're almost there."

"Alright fine." You mutter, "What if there are infected out here?"

"Well then I have it handled," Joel snickers, as he reaches for the shotgun he has strapped to his back.

"Okay, okay."

After a bit more walking Joel stops and says, "We're here!"

You look up from the ground to see a few rusted cars, and a lot of greenery.

"Oh wow, it looks like everywhere else." You roll your eyes.

"Hang on, I had to hide it." Joel says, as he walks to a truck, and pulls off a tarp, revealing a Harley, "Happy birthday."

"A motorcycle?!" You shout excitedly.

"Yeah, you keep talking about how of the world didn't go to shit, you'd have bought a Harley Davidson, and while I was out on a run, I found this, I thought you'd like it." He says, "You wanna help me get it out?"

You rush over and help him get the bike out of the bed of the truck. You circle it in admiration, before muttering, "Too bad we don't have the keys."

"Actually," Joel pulls a keychain with a green foam dice, and a few other keys on it, out of his pocket, "We do. Whoever left it left the keys, and I was not about to let raiders take it."

"This is awesome! Thanks Joel." You cheer as a smile spreads across your face and look to Joel lovingly.

"Well, we should see if it runs," He hands you the keys.

"I've never ridden a motorcycle before." You sigh, before handing him the keys back, "I don't know how to drive it. Do you?"

"I do, come on." Joel says as he hops onto the bike and nods his head for you to get on.

You get on the bike and put your hands on his hips.

"Wrap your arms around my waist, Y/N." Joel tells you.

You blush a bit, "N-no, I don't want to invade your personal space."

You can hear the smile on Joels face through his voice, "Alright, suit yourself." He starts the Harley, and reves the engine a bit, getting ready to drive.

Suddenly the bike jerks you backward as it moves forward. You quickly cling to Joel as you squeal. Joel drives the bike around, as the wind blows on your face. You reach a tall, abandoned building.

"Come on Y/N." He says as he turns the bike off and gets off it. He reaches his hand out to help you off.

"Thanks, so what're we doing here?"

"I have to show you something."

"Another something?"

"Yes, another something. It is your birthday; you think I'm going to go small with it?"

You laugh as he drags you into the building, of which is lit by the sun casting down through the shattered windows and holes in the roof.

"So, what is this surprise?" You snicker.

He turns around and walks backwards, "It's a surprise."

You and Joel walk up to the very top floor of the once office building. He leads you to a broken window.

"What do you think?" He smiles.

You look through the window, revealing a rundown Boston, looking more peaceful, and alive than ever. The orange and pink sunset on the skyline of the city reflects off the windows of the building that are left. The orange light of the sunset lights the city, greens and oranges, pinks and blues, all speckle the city. No doubt most of the beauty is the fungus, but some of it is just nature taking what was once it's land.

"Joel." You mutter as you look across the city, "It's beautiful." You turn around to him.

You hug him tightly, "Thank you." You whisper into his shoulder.

"No problem, Y/N/N. Happy birthday."

Suddenly you hear a crash.

"Joel." You say, reaching for your gun holster, only to realize you left your gun back in the QZ, "Shit."

"Go hide." Joel whispers to you, "Go, now. Don't come out until I give you the all clear."

"Joel-"

"Will you listen to me for once?" He tells you as he pulls his shot gun into his arms with a swing of the arm band.