Chapter 3

Skykit swept his paw across the dirt in the nursery. Then he redraw the scribble markings. Then he swept his paw across the dirt again. 

Mousekit walked into the den, smiling. Then she saw her brother.

"Skykit," she looked down at him. "What in StarClans name are you doing?" 

The tabby tom shrugged.

"Ashwing said it was my fault Gorsekit stepped on a thorn, so she confined me to the nursery for the day, as punishment." He said miserably. "I didn't do anything to hurt Gorsekit, I swear! Ashwing just has it in for me." 

The white kit looked surprised but nodded. Noticing how it was just the two of them, she walked into the shadowy nursery and sat down next to her littermate.

They both sat in silence for a while, until Mousekit spoke.

"How about you prove to Ashwing that your not just some troublemaker kit?" She suggested. "You- we could all go into the forest together and find a piece of prey together! We could slip away at dusk, and by dawn we'll be back with a shrew or a vole or something!" 

Skykit flinched at the insults, but nodded, thoughtful. 

That might work, but if one of us gets injured, I'll definitely get the blame.. it's a risk I can take.

"Okay, I'm in. Where's Gorsekit, though?" Asked the pale brown tom. "He has to come too, for this to work."

Mousekit grinned, and stood up. 

"I'll go and find him, you wait here!" She suddenly blinked apologetically. "What I mean is, I'll find him now while you guard our meeting point." 

Skykit watched Mousekit run off, and envied her laid back personality. 

"Ashwing would never let me enjoy that much freedom.." He muttered bitterly to himself. "All because of Gorsekit and his proneness to getting hurt."

Suddenly Skykit heard light pawsteps, and over the entrance of the nursery came Mousekit and Gorsekit. 

"I managed to distract Ashwing." Panted Mousekit.

"And I'm in." Said Gorsekit, determined. 

Skykit smiled at his litternamtes' efforts. They all knew they'd never actually catch a mouse and would probably come back with empty paws, but at least they could act like they did. 

Soon enough, the clan cats came back from their duties and slid into their dens. Willowstripe and Ashwing returned, quickly dropping off into a long slumber as usual. 

Skykit peeked his head out of the nest. He glanced around, before flicking his tail for the okay to go. 

His littermates clambered out eagerly, tiptoeing in a line of Skykit, Gorsekit then Mousekit. 

Weakest in the middle, Skykit realised spitefully.

Skykit led the way, going around camp the longest to avoid the entrance. 

As quickly as they could, they clambered out of the dirtplace tunnel, and looked around at the moors. 

Skykits littermates had the same effect, of the swamping feeling of everything outside. They gazed in awe at the tones darkness, while the pale brown tabby tom walked on.

"Come on, we should each split up around that tree," Skykit started to explain, flicking his fail towards an oak nearer the lake. "We could try to catch a rabbit, or something! Together!" 

Mousekit slapped her tail over his mouth, whispering at him, "Keep quiet, we're quite near the camp I think." 

But even as Skykit searched her sisters gaze, he saw amusement behind the fear.