Mysterious Ways of Nature!

It was a tiring day. Not that it wasn't like that mostly, but the feeling of living her dream vanished all her fatigue, it all felt worth it at the end of the day. Umeed was sitting on her chair in the favourite spot of her cafe, waiting for Farjaad to pick her up. It was their routine. Farjaad would drop her on his way to the office and would pick her up before going home. Seeing him at the end of the day made her forget all her tiredness, but the past couple of days have been different.

She messaged Farjaad: "Kahan reh gaye hain aap?"

He replied: "5 minutes away"

The past three years of her life have been an absolute bliss. She got everything she had ever and had never asked for. The unconditional love, the care, the respect, the reassurances of her being worthy enough, in fact of her being the most precious being on this face of earth, it all felt like a dream. She got blessed with every thing, every feeling, every emotion she ever felt deprived of. Nature truly works in mysterious ways.

4 minutes and 30 seconds, to be exact, had passed when her phone vibrated. "Waiting outside."

At this moment, she felt thankful of him being a "ghariyal" because she certainly wasn't feeling her best and just wanted the comfort of her bed.

"Assalam o Alaikummm! Kesa raha aapka din?" He greeted her with a smile as soon as she entered the car and sat on the passenger seat; her seat.

"Bas theek tha." She said with an expressionless face while fastening the seat belt.

Farjaad tried to initiate a conversation quite a few times, but her lack of usual enthusiasm and short answers failed his attempts. He did sense that something was unusual, but he did not ask about it right away. The rest of the journey passed in complete silence.

He parked the car in the garage. Walked out of the car and opened the door of the passenger seat for his beloved wife. Though Umeed had become used to this gesture by then, but it warmed her heart every single time. She had never felt this respected before this man’s arrival in her life. It was a feeling she always craved for, and now he was making sure her this craving gets fully satisfied.

She was feeling so fatigued that the thought of getting out of the car was seeming like a struggle to her. She gathered all the energy and put her left leg on the marble floor of the garage. Using the car door as a support, she stood up, but as soon as she got up a wave of dizziness hit her, and it was all dark. She would've fallen on the floor had she not been holding the door firmly, or maybe, had Farjaad not held her arm instinctively on seeing her losing the balance.  

“Tum theek ho Umeed? Kia huwa?” he inquired worriedly.

“Jee main theek hoon, shayad zyada thak gayi hoon aaj”, she replied, coming back to her senses, holding on to his arm firmly.

Farjaad wasn't convinced by her reply; he knew something was wrong. They walked together inside the house. Since Niggo was not in the town for family reasons, Mimi was waiting for them in the lounge to have dinner together. They stopped to greet her, but Umeed quickly excused herself and went upstairs in her room; their room. Farjaad sat with Mimi for a few minutes, and then followed her towards the room to inquire what's bothering her.

He entered the room and found her lying in the middle of the bed with her shoes on. On seeing him at the door, she got up and started taking off her heels, her jewelry, and the watch, not her mother’s but its exact copy, that he got her made to make up for her loss. It was very special to her, because of her mother and him.

“Kia huwa hai tumhe, mujhe nahi batao gi?” He held her arm and turned her towards himself, while she was putting the watch carefully on the dressing table. Their eyes met each other’s.