Beginning

Beginning

"Are you avoiding me, Sierra?" I diverted my gaze away from him. I shuffled on my seat and swallowed the lump forming in my throat.

"What are you talking about?" I whispered so low that I could not even hear myself. He sighed in defeat. I glanced at him and saw how he bit his lower lip in frustration, his brows furrowed.

We both fell into silence. I mean, as we should since we were inside the library. Any noise would only cause unnecessary problems, correct?

Students were either busy doing nothing on the table, some were busy studying, some were doing research, and others were coming back and forth from the nearby bookshelf.

In my case, I was pretending to read something important from the book I took and used it as an excuse to busy myself, or in other words, to play the role of a student busy with her workload. Thus he won't dare to bother me. Otherwise, I am afraid he would start this conversation again.

A minute or two passed, and still, no one dared to speak up. Gideon's breathing became laborious despite doing nothing. I could feel his breath caressing my left ear as he breathed out at me. I could sense him watching me.

My heart started ramming fast.

I was tapping my pen on my book anxiously, hoping he would notice how uncomfortable I was with him sitting right close to me.

When he noticed how distracting and noisy my pen had become, he took it and put it in his pocket. I turned and raised a brow at him and regretted it as our eyes met.

His eyes were probing, and I could not stand how beautiful yet menacing it was.

I shifted my eyes back to the chapter, which I had been reading multiple times and still won't understand a word or two.

It took him a couple of minutes before breaking the silence between us.

"We used to eat lunch together, aren't we? It has been a week since we last took our meal together. Also, why aren't you replying to my messages? What is wrong? Tell me."

"N-nothing. I was just very... b-busy." I uttered the last word almost breathlessly. I knew there was no way he would believe my lies. He knew me well!

"Busy? Are you using that line to me, Sierra?" He scoffed.

I opened my mouth in an attempt to reply, but nothing was forthcoming.

My heart won't stop beating fast. I could feel the heat rising to my face. Not long later, the bell rang.

In my mind, I thank the heavens when I heard the bells echoing. I quickly piled up my things and leave the library. But before I could go further, I felt his hand, hard yet gentle, grabbed my wrist and took me with him. A moment later, we turned behind the towering bookshelves. In a swift motion, he pinned me on the nearest wall.

I was glad no one else was left in the area where he pinned me down, otherwise, it would be embarrassing!

"Now tell me there is no problem existing between us!"

His voice was pleading, and it felt like drawing me close to him. But god knows how afraid I am!

My knees wobbled, and I could no longer muster the courage to look directly into his eyes. For I fear that I would drown myself in him and never get out to breathe.

"Tell me." He repeated, his voice begging.

My mouth went dry and I do not know how to respond well.

How did I end up in this kind of situation?