Statement of Detective Hank Ronalds

(Snowpy)

"Statement of Detective Hank Ronalds, regarding an encounter with an uh-

(Hank)

A blood-covered clown.

(Snowpy)

"Right-, Statement of Detective Hank Ronalds, regarding an encounter with a blood-covered clown. Statement taken directly from the subject today, May 19, 2023. Snowpy Crossroads, head archivist of the Roseville Institute, Roseville, recording. Statement begins."

(Hank)

"So- can I start already?"

Snowpy looked at him in annoyance yet remained calm as he told him to begin his statement.

(Snowpy)

"Yes, just tell me your story in detail."

(Hank)

"This incident happened weeks ago, and it still haunts the both of us."

(Snowpy)

The both of us?

(Hank)

"That will come later. So my girlfriend, Becca Sparkles, and I went on a date to a carnival. I looked at the time on my phone and discovered it was 10:00 p.m. I informed my girlfriend, Becca, that it was time to go home now. She consented, and we walked to my car while I drove her home to drop her off. On the highway, I spotted something weird. A man stood there by himself. He was dressed like a clown, and his hair was a mess. My body became frigid as I peered more carefully. His face was smeared with blood, and he had a razor-sharp blade. Becca, my girlfriend, saw the bloodied clown. I drove as fast as the law permitted till I got to her house. I said my goodbyes and dropped her off. I decided to go to the police station where I worked to report the incident. I opted to drive home after reporting the event. It was getting dark, and it began to rain. I had the impression that someone was observing me as I was driving. I kept checking my rearview mirror to see if anyone was following me. I eventually concluded that I was hallucinating since I was tired and it was late in the evening. It was, in fact, 12:00 a.m. I felt cold all over as I approached my house. He, the carnival murderer, was peering through the woodland trees directly outside my door."

(Snowpy)

"Excuse me? But you decided to call it the carnival murderer?"

(Hank)

"Yes, it perhaps needed a name since it's a bit bland to call it a "blood-covered clown."

(Snowpy)

"Right, please continue."

(Hank)

"I became afraid and began looking for a way to defend myself. In any case, my Taser would be ineffective. Then I noticed a knife on the kitchen counter. I grabbed the knife and tightened my hold. My eyes darted around the room. The carnival murderer stood directly in front of me. All of my optimistic notions were being shaken out of my head. Then he started getting closer and closer to my residence. I strain my breath and brace myself for the worst, but he turns and walks away. I was overcome with paranoia and collapsed on the floor, sobbing in relief. Yes, I cried, but who wouldn't when this strange clown was essentially the reason for your entrance into the afterlife? But he saved me in some way. At the end of the day, I never saw the clown again, but it left both of us traumatized. Mostly me."

Hank gulped from a bottle of water, tired from making his statement.

(Snowpy)

"Right, is that all you have to say?"

(Hank)

"Yes, that's all for my statement."

(Snowpy)

"Right, I appreciate your statement. I'll look into your encounter, and I hope you don't run into that carnival murderer again."

Both of them stood up and shook hands with each other.

(Hank)

"Well, thank you very much for your time, archivist. I must get going now. I have an appointment with a friend in town."

Hank rose from his seat and exited the Roseville Institute. A friend of his was waiting for him as he left the institute. He has graying hair and dark eyes.

(Tom)

"You sure take your time! How's the encounter with the archivist?"

(Hank)

"You're referring to Snowpy Crossroads. Very fine; he was pleasant indeed. But I'm amazed at how young he is."

(Tom)

"Oh, he's young? Oh well, I suppose I should turn this into a journalism headline."

(Hank)

"Oh, don't get your journalism ass in the archivist business. After all, he is the newly appointed archivist. I don't think he will be pleased to be questioned by a swarm of reporters."

(Tom)

"Right, my bad. Anyways, do you want to investigate something for me?"

Hank became interested in Tom's offer.

(Hank)

"What is it about?"

(Tom)

"It's about the accident that killed socialite Roi Raccoon."

At the Roseville Institute:

(Snowpy)

"Okay, now for the post-statement. So, regarding Detective Hank Ronald's statement, I had a hunch he had a run-in with The Stranger or The Slaughter. Fortunately, he was not marked, and I am beyond relieved that he did not become an avatar of either of the two entities. I hope he doesn't have another run-in with that clown murderer. I hope he is cautious in all of his investigations. There's nothing much the institute can do, unfortunately."

He turned off the tape recorder and delivered his final words before the recording finished.

"Statement Ends"

Word Count: 863 Words

End of Chapter:

Valerie 🌺