prolouge

"how does second place feel"

"no sunlight living in a shadow like his"

"you gotta do better to follow in the same steps"

"you should've gone to the same school he went to, you know"

"Hey, don't listen to them."
"Can't you hear what I'm saying, I'm right here telling you that none of that matters. We're better, we're just born like that."
"Remember that while I'm gone."

my body jolts alert- I look around, seeing all my classmates getting up - packing their bags. Some caught up in conversation while others file out of class. The sound of the bell slowly fades in along with the buzz of the voices, desperate to get lunch.

I blink a few times more and then look towards the teacher, but my view is blocked by a student who isn't from my class, hair the colour of a swamp, nodding eagerly. Worried I might've been caught sleeping in class, I quickly take the opportunity to leave unnoticed. Bag on one shoulder and notebooks in hand, I rush so I'm not the last one out while trying to flatten my hair - hoping it's not too out of place.

Beside the door leans another student against the wall, also not a first year. His blonde hair falls above his golden brown eyes - which are burning holes into the back of the head of the other guy I noticed earlier. White chunky headphones on his ears, in the short second it takes me to pass him and walk out the door, I hear the faint tune of his music. As I merge into the sea of bodies in the hall, a faint smile paints my lips.

That wasn't the first time I had seen Tsukishima. And it was still only the first of many other chance encounters to come.

꧁꧁꧁✩꧂꧂꧂

The starry sky hangs above me as I make my way home. I was running extra drills after track practice, and now this trek home serves as my second cool down. A small distance away I see the familiar convenience store which has become a daily pit stop for me on the way home, except today I'm coming in much later.

A small group of people have gathered outside the store and on a nearby bench. Gesturing and laughing as the dim streetlights illuminate their faces, the shadows dancing around them. It's a lively crowd, a group of guys all dressed in our schools athletic uniform.

I head into the store through the automatic sliding doors, the bright lights inside Sakanoshita's blinding in comparison to the outside. The same guy with a cigarette in his mouth sits at the counter, but his attention facing towards one of the isles. I grab myself a drink and walk it over the resister.

I stare at some of the posters and prints on the wall behind the dude while he tells me the amount for my item. The perfect amount of change already in hand, I place it down onto the counter. I get the same thing every time. While he scans it his attention follows somebody else in the store, and then speaks in response to whatever the other person is saying, his tone friendly yet lecture like. I follow the movement of his eyes until they're are starring above my head. I haven't been following the conversation, but suddenly whoever the second person is, they're standing right behind me.

I grab my drink and say a light thank you with a smile, not wanting to interrupt the conversation, but the presence behind me feels too close to turn around without bumping into the guy.

"No problem, get home safe— Ay, Tsukishima get out the girls way"

I turn around, hoping my path would be clear now, but my head bumps into a chest, which is quickly out of my way as he steps to the side. I mumble a quite sorry, and he doesn't do anything to acknowledge it. I'm slightly relieved he doesn't bat me an eye. His gaze is above my head looking over at the guy at the counter. I look up at him to find the the blonde boy I saw in my class a few days ago, except his eyes are more alive this time. I must've stayed in place for a second too long, because his gaze travels down to meet mine. He parts open his mouth, likely about to say something to the store owner, but pauses and slightly raises his brows, probably wondering why I haven't left yet. In a daze, I lightly bow my head and quickly pace out of the store, yelling another thank you as I leave. Looking over my shoulder after I pass the front doors, I catch one last glimpse of his tall figure just as the automatic doors shut.

Tsukishima, huh.

꧁꧁꧁✩꧂꧂꧂

Bump. Again. Though this time it wasn't my fault.

My friend to my left has her arm around my shoulder and can't manage to walk in a straight line, which is troublesome enough on a clear street, but now we're in a crowded hallway. Her steps are quick and her legs longer than my, so I rush my steps trying to keep up. I love her, but she can be so aloof. My shoulder brushes with somebody's arm who's walking the opposite direction, but it ends up being more of a shove on his end. My friend is still pulling me forward as I yell out a "Sorry" over my shoulder. My body and head twist back and my eyes immediately land on the head of blonde hair, the tallest person in slight.

Tsukishima's gaze is on me and he's stopped walking amidst the traffic in the halls, but as soon as our eyes meet he turns his head forward as he continues to walk away. No reaction on his face whatsoever.

꧁꧁꧁✩꧂꧂꧂

"Sorry!" I yell out from afar, the soccer ball slowing to a roll in front of the outdoor vending machine. One of the players gave it way to strong of a kick from the field, and since I was doing my laps around it and it flew right by me, I decide to run and go get it - to give a helping hand. Where I run to doesn't matter, as long as I keep moving I'm getting a good workout in.

The apology wasn't mine to say, I wasn't the one to kick the ball. But I slowed to a jog as three heads turn to face me, the small guy with orange hair picks up the ball and holds it out to me, "Here you go-"

Another voice speaks up from behind,

"Is sorry the only word you know?"

Taking the ball into my own hands, I look up at Tsukishima, it being the first time I'm properly hearing his voice. My eyes bounce between the three guys, him, the orange haired one in front of me, a tall black haired guy, and then to the open gym door, volleyballs bouncing around.

"Sorry- I mean. I didn't kick it out here- the soccer team did.. I'm just grabbing it for them." I look back to him, trying to read his expression, but he just turns to walk into the gym, the other tall one following him in.

"Thanks! Have a nice run!" The tiny one says, before following behind the other two. I stand there and pear in, the sound of shoes squeaking fades as the door falls shut.

"Hey! Can we get our ball back?"