Chapter 17

Mónica's POV

"Are you feeling ok? You look a bit pale".

My mum has been fussing around me all morning. She knows I get very nervous about things like the recording session I have today, but that isn't what kept me awake at night.

"Yeah, just a bit tired".

"You came back home quite late last night. Had a good time with Pablo?"

"Sure. His friends were there too. We were just playing some games".

"Are they as lovely as him?"

I wouldn't call him lovely right now.

"They were very nice, yes".

"That's nice, sweetie. I like that you have him but you need friends too".

"Yeah".

But what my mum doesn't know is that I don't have Pablo either. Even if I thought I did for a second. He's probably laughing at me right now for being such a child.

"Is this his hoodie?"

I turn to find my mum holding the hoodie I wore yesterday. I threw it to the floor the moment I got inside of my room. I didn't want to wear anything that belongs to him. I still don't.

"Yes".

"You could wear it today. It'll bring you good luck".

"I don't want to wear it".

I try to close the door gently, even though I would prefer to slam it shut. But it isn't my mum's fault that I'm in this mess. It's my fault. And Manu's, of course.

When I get back to my room, I see the hoodie neatly folded on my bed and I only want to throw it to the floor again. But doing that doesn't allow me to get the relief I expected, so I also sit on the floor and cry.

"Mónica?"

"Go away", I try to say, but it's barely a whisper.

"Why are you crying?"

She sits next to me and I can see her looking at the hoodie that's on the floor again.

"Did he do something to you? You have to tell me if he did".

"It's not real, mum. It's never been".

"What do you mean it isn't real?"

"We aren't really dating. It's something we are pretending to do for our careers only".

I quickly try to explain what's been going on and I can see the hurt in her eyes.

"Don't tell your father"

"I don't want to keep lying. I'm tired of lies".

"Too late, Mónica. You got yourself in this mess. You got us in this mess. At least save him the heartbreak. We've been treating that kid like he was part of the family already while you two lied to us. And...did I really raise this kind of daughter? We have helped you achieve this career since you first told us you wanted to sing. You didn't have to do this!"

"That's not what Manu said".

"Yeah, well. I'll have a long chat with him. You were underage like two days ago and his first idea is throwing you to a man so you pretend to be with him. His only way to make you have a career apparently. It's disgusting".

She leaves so I can finish getting ready and then we drive to the studio in silence.

"I'll go get ready for the recording".