Chapter 7 - The Woods

Overnight the village was blanketed in a thin sheet of crisp white snow. It was beautiful for a day, but by the end of the night the paths and roads had been turned grey by all the people, horses, and wagons going over it. A snowball fight between many of the children had broken out in the park and lasted much of the day, much to the chagrin of local shop owners.

The morning after the wedding, Adam came to the Beaumont's home to formally announce his intentions to Belle's father. It wasn't traditional, but neither was Maurice Beaumont. He was thrilled to hear the news that his daughter had chosen someone on her own, and that it was someone he already liked. Maurice couldn't wait to welcome Adam into his family.

Plumette and Lumiere were the first people the two told after Belle's father. Plumette was so excited that she attempted to pick Belle up and spin her around, knocking over a (thankfully unlit) candlestick in the process. And once Lumiere and Plumette knew, the rest of the village soon followed. The newlywed Monsieur and Madame Joubert had become a powerhouse of town gossip overnight.

By the next day, Belle could walk through the village and almost every person she passed would give her their congratulations. Some of them were people she had hardly ever spoken to. Madame Potts sent her flowers to congratulate her, and LeFou sent wine. She felt strange getting so much attention, as most people seemed to ignore her before.

The downside to all of this was Gaston. Belle and Adam both would sometimes notice him leering at them as they walked past him, but he never approached to speak to either of them. It was fairly well known that Gaston had been interested in Belle for years. There were a few women that he seemed keen on, but he'd always focused the most on Belle. Adam becoming engaged to her so soon after his own failed proposal attempt seemed to be really bothering him.

Once the snow and early winter chill had settled through the town, LeFou's tavern became more popular than ever. Every night the place would be full of villagers trying to keep warm. It was on one of those nights when Gaston finally decided to say something.

Adam was with Lumiere and his friends again. It was becoming a habit. He was getting to know Chapeau and Bouche much better. He had never really spoken to them when they were younger, but he now enjoyed their company. He had found out that Chapeau was the tailor's apprentice and Bouche and his family were sheep farmers. Bouche fancied the seamstress's daughter Paulette, but unfortunately she was one of the women who tended to follow Gaston around. Chapeau had decided he preferred the life of a bachelor.

"Do not look over there," Bouche said quietly, leaning across the table to speak to Adam directly. "But LeGume has been glaring at you for several minutes now."

Adam, despite Bouche's warning, immediately glanced over to where he had last spotted Gaston. The man was indeed glaring at Adam from across the tavern.

For a brief moment when their eyes met, Adam felt a chill run down his spine. Gaston's eyes were cold, piercing. He looked genuinely furious. But it only lasted for a moment, Gaston forcing his expression into a more neutral one once he realised Adam was looking at him. He gave Adam a terse nod of acknowledgement. He still looks unhappy, but he didn't want it to be obvious. Adam quickly turned his gaze back towards his friends.

Gaston was almost always at the tavern, as were most of the other hunters. They hunted in the day and rested at the tavern at night. As usual, there was a small gathering of young women fawning over Gaston and one of his equally chauvinistic hunter friends.

"He has some of the most beautiful women in the village seeking his affections, and all he can do is glower because one woman rejected him," Chapeau shook his head. His eyes shot up. "Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound as if- Mademoiselle Beaumont is very beautiful, of course, but it was so obvious to anyone with eyes that she didn't care for him, and-."