Chapter Two | A Night at the Pub

The first day of shooting flew by — as much as any day of shooting can, that is. The funny thing about a film set is, as long as everything takes, the name of the game really is hurry up and wait. I got into hair and makeup after Martha and I shared a coffee, then we were holding everything for 45 minutes while they sorted out a shot setup. I was shown my trailer (where production had thoughtfully left some breakfast options which I devoured eagerly), then I had a costume fitting, then we had a mandatory union break. Then I met with the script supervisor to get some changes to my lines, then the set energy shifted to inside Button House while an Alison and Mike scene was being reworked to incorporate some new blocking. Stop, start -- like American football.

I used the break times to ponder my character and go over my new lines. The part was a fun one; I was playing an obnoxious and gaudy TV star who was trying to revive her career by doing a ghost-hunting reality show — and obviously annoying Alison, Mike, and all the Ghosts in the process. The best part was, it was a two-episode arc, which meant I would be working with everyone for at least three weeks — and that was an exciting prospect, because everyone was a genuine delight. In the second half of the day, we shot our scene, and I got the chance to properly meet Charlotte and Kiell. They were lovely to me, even though I was wearing a hilariously shocking hot pink blazer and mini-skirt — my character's wardrobe seemed to be modeled a bit after the Selling Sunset cast, and I was living for it.

We ended the day shooting a scene with the whole principal cast and me. My character walked through the drawing room, picking up "vibes" from areas in which there were no ghosts — meanwhile, the actual Ghosts were following me, quipping and complaining. I was the most nervous for this scene, because it was all cues — if I messed up any lines, I derailed the entire scene, because all the punchlines were dependent on my setup — but luckily it went smooth as silk. I never wanted to be the first one to break, even when I was the first on the call sheet, because even though everything made me crack up, I was so nervous that I'd get in trouble for wasting precious time. But this was a fun (though professional) bunch, and we did get to have a few laughs.

When we wrapped at 6, I was expecting everyone to exhaustedly head home, but that didn't seem to be the vibe.

"The Barley Mow, right?" asked Lolly to the group as she headed out.

"Yeah, just meet there when you're all done," said Larry, stretching and shifting like he was dying to get his Robin prosthetics off.

I was having one of those moments where you know there's a social event but don't know if you're meant to go too or if it would be weird to invite yourself, when Martha gently grabbed my elbow.

"We're going down the pub in the village for a round, you should come!"

I smiled gratefully and confirmed I'd be there.

I changed in my trailer back into my straight-leg, high waisted jeans, plain white tee shirt and high-top sneakers. Surveying myself in the mirror, I realized that with the Selling Sunset-esque hair and makeup, my outfit looked a little hilariously incongruous, but I decided to roll with it, and headed out.

I asked Marshall, my driver, to drop me at the Barley Mow and thanked him, assuring him I'd find my own way home. The pub was lively, with Top 40 hits from the early 2000s playing from a jukebox in the corner and some University-age kids from the village having a high-spirited game of snooker. I looked around, feeling a bit awkward, wondering for a split second if I'd gotten the wrong place — seriously, how many pubs called "The Barley Mow", "The Kings Head", "The Red Lion", etc. could there be in one village?? — when I heard a familiar voice call my name.

"Maggie, we're over here!" Kiell was waving from the far edge of the bar, where the whole group of actors plus a few crew-members were spilling over at tables, playing darts, and passing down pints at the bar. I joined the group and was met with another big hello, only this time, glasses were raised and everyones voices were decidedly louder.