Chapter 8 - I Am Not A Child

𓄂"I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront their own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead

𓄂
"I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront their own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
·.·.·.·.⊹✩✧ ⋆ ☾ ⋆ ✧✩⊹.·.·.·.·

Nora walked cautiously behind Marc as they made their way through the mysterious passageway. The walls were lined with reflective bricks that looked like they hadn't been cleaned since the day they were put up. She had never been to a gathering of the gods before. In fact, she had never even met another avatar before Marc and Steven. Nora was not the type to get nervous easily, but even she couldn't deny the anxiety that was bubbling up in her chest. From what Khonshu had told her about Harrow, he wasn't going to make it easy to prove his guilt. Nora just hoped the other gods weren't stupid enough to fall for any of his tricks.

The end of the hallway opened up into a rather large room. It was surprisingly elegant, despite the large amounts of sand that covered nearly every surface. The space gave off an aura of authority that made Nora instinctively want to scowl. Large Egyptian statues filled every inch of the room, except for the center, which was left completely empty. There was a platform on which numerous simple stone chairs were placed evenly apart. It reminded Nora of the colosseum, where rich onlookers could sit up on their thrones and watch gladiators get eaten by lions. She hoped looks would be where the similarities would end.

As the two made their way into the room's center, Marc seemed to get more tense by the second. It was as though he expected something to jump out at them any moment. He was particularly correct, for Nora soon found herself being approached by a woman who had appeared out of seemingly nowhere, but she didn't seem very threatening. The woman was tall and slender, with long brown hair that was perfectly straight. When she was close enough to see how old Nora was, she shot the young girl a sympathetic smile. It pissed her off.

"Khonshu's theatrics are unparalleled. Which one of you is his avatar?" Marc and Nora glanced at each other before each introducing themselves and their respective deities. The woman seemed shocked when she found out Nora was the Avatar to the goddess of war and chaos, but said nothing nonetheless. She went on to introduce herself and started flirting with Marc or Khonshu or something like that. Nora didn't really know because she was tuning out their conversation, instead focusing on the increasing number of Avatars that were entering the room, all of which seemed less than pleased to be there. A man who stood in the very front called for the meeting to begin and Yatzil, the woman, started making her way towards her seat. Marc and Nora idly followed, not really knowing what to do. "Has anyone explained to you how this works?" Apparently, the dumbfounded look on the pair's faces was answer enough. Yatzil chuckled and said "Just try not to fight it. It's a strange sensation, but you'll get used to it." She left them standing confused at the bottom of the stairs. As she made her way up the steps, her head seemed to jolt back and she suddenly took on a more formal stance. "In attendance, Horus, Isis, Tefnut, Osiris, and Hathor," other Avtars jolted their heads as well as Yatzil listed off names, "to hear the account of Khonshu."