Highfantasy: Xovyar and the Sudheim Isles

(Xovyar the Magma dragon above)

Prompt: After tumbling through a portal into an unknown realm, you find a dragon trapped in a strange form, desperate to return home.

"You can do better than that!"  Mr. Blackhorth yelled, sword in his hand. I groaned as I lay on my back with Altha's little face peering at me.

I sat up, feeling the bruises that covered my body.  I scooped up Altha, a bit bigger than a rabbit, and put him on the bench, and forced him to stay there.  I grabbed my sword and prepared for another attack.  He swung and I only had a fraction of a second to block his attack.  He quickly swept the sword low to catch my feet and I jumped and swung the sword which barely hit him.

He laughed, did a spin, and then disarmed me with his sword at my throat. I groaned again and spotted Altha heading towards the door and I quickly sprinted over to the door.

"For a small dragon you sure can be annoying," I scolded him and put him in his crate.

After finishing a couple more moves, I was drenched in sweat and headed back to my room for a shower.  I let Altha out I took a quick shower, threw some clothes on, scooped up Altha,  put him on my shoulder, and headed out, catching Amiri headed to lunch.

"You feeling okay?" she asked, concerned, "I heard about that... artifact."

"I've felt better.  I'm still trying to get some strength back, you know with the whole dying thing."  She nodded and we found Flynn at one of the tables, waving us over.  We headed toward him where he was eating a burger.

"So what did you want to talk to us about?" Amiri asked.

"We have the finals!" he said exasperated.

"I forgot about those," I said as I grabbed a piece of fruit from Amiri's tray.  "When do those happen again?"

"Do you even worry about coming again next year?"  Flynn looked disappointed in me and I couldn't keep up my facade anymore.

"Of course, I remember when they are," I said looking at his confused face.  "And of course, I want to come back next year."

"Well I'm glad you aren't throwing away your future," Amiri said getting up and heading towards the tray disposal.

Flynn looked at me quizzically and said bluntly, "You like her."  I was so surprised by the question and it took me a few seconds to collect myself.

I had just opened my mouth to say no when he interrupted me, "And don't say no, I know you do."

"Ok, and where are you getting this from?" I asked.

"It isn't that hard to tell what's going on."

"Is it that obvious?" I asked, desperately hoping he would say it was a prank.  Flynn nodded and went back to eating as Amiri came back.  With Ms. Hunt, we trained our dragons, the few of us who captured ours on Volaris(the only floating island we know of) and practiced our Magics. 

As soon as the bell wrung we started with half of us training our dragons and the other half practicing the magics.  Those who didn't have dragons, hunted, trying to find one on Volaris.  I often went with Amiri and Flynn, helping them hunt for their dragon.  

As soon as I stepped through the portal though I landed in an entirely different world, one that was surrounded by the sea and covered in grass, unlike the white clouds that covered Volaris.

I spun around, taking stock of my situation, looked like the trees had some fruits on them, and judging by the grass it looked like some other animals were here too.  I walked around, wishing I had a weapon to explore.

I sent Altha out hoping for her to find something.  I was glad for the jungle,  for its vibrant green leaves stopped the sun and there were many edible fruits.  We walked on for an hour or so before Altha chirped in warning and he flew over to me and bared his little fangs.  I stayed on alert, already getting ready to use any Magics on this thing.  

When we approached it we came to the edge of the island that opened into a clearing.  In the middle was a weird, blob thingy that struggled against its cage, causing it to shake, causing what I thought were earthquakes before.

It was about the size of a two-story house and was changing colors from red to black.  Its eyes were bright orange, and they looked at me curiously as I approached, never blinking.  Wishing I had an axe or something to protect myself, I slowly approached, hoping that it would eat me.

I placed a hand on the bars and it sniffed my hand, thankfully not pulling me in.  After seeing it was nice enough and wasn't going to kill me, I motioned for it to get back and summoned Fire.  After 30 minutes, the bars had barely melted, even with Altha helping me.

I groaned in frustration and looked around the area and saw a sliding lock on the opposite side.  I groaned again at my stupidity and unlocked the cage and the creature sprinted out of the cage where it started to slowly morph.

"Thank you, for that Mr. Merrit."  Then the Magma dragon paused, "That sound weird, do you want me to just call you Austyn?"

"S...Sure," I said, not knowing what to think of this encounter.

"My name's Xovyar, and don't worry I'll get you home, and you'll find another gift on your bed at 5:32,"  The dragon disappeared in a flash and for a second I was worried that the dragon wasn't getting me home when a brilliant flash enveloped me and Altha and we were teleported back to school.  Flynn and Amiri were already there waiting for me.

"What happened to you?" Amiri asked rushing over to give me a hug, causing my cheeks to turn red.

"I got stuck on this island," I said as we headed out to our rooms. I said goodbye to them, promising them I'd fill them in and I headed into my room and found the surprise, a small dragon, about the size of Altha that was a Magma dragon waiting on the floor.

 I said goodbye to them, promising them I'd fill them in and I headed into my room and found the surprise, a small dragon, about the size of Altha that was a Magma dragon waiting on the floor