CH 17 LIGHT'S POV

LIGHT YAGAMI'S POV

After spending a few weeks in this hospital, there was only one thing that I would consistently think about.

Who was I? 

Nurses and doctors would often tell me that I was an outstanding student with extraordinary skills but there was no way for me to prove that to myself. I was just some guy who got shot and somehow survived. 

I felt lost..until she came. 

At first, I thought about how easy she was to read, like an open book. Her expressions would indicate a thousand emotions but guessing it was a piece of cake, that's when it started.

Little by little, I came close to remembering my beliefs, ideals and goals. I realized what I could do, how I used to get what I want and I discovered how good I am at it. 

Doc Daiki was fairly easy to manipulate. I doubt that he'll ever fire her after the things I've told. And the police? They're about to come looking for me, someone who voluntarily left. Everything was going my way and it was all thanks to y/n. I mean it when I say that she really is all I have. 

 The thought of losing her scares me. It petrifies me how she could get involved in something dangerous that I need to do, specifically retrieve the notebook which is, my biggest priority.

I have no idea why but it irks me, no, it angers me that someone out there is using this power to kill people for evil. I can't stand the fact that innocent people are dying and crime has increased since then because good people think they'll get killed if they don't participate in criminal activity.

My heart sank the moment I heard the news; causing me to lose all control. So, naturally, I ran away to gather my thoughts and create a plan.

When I first heard of Kira, I thought he was the type of person who would sacrifice himself to create a better world, someone who fought for a greater place to live, a place without evil. 

But he's nothing like that, the injustice of it all makes me feel sick to my stomach. Somehow,  I feel a great responsibility to fix this. I haven't fully recovered all my memories but if there's one thing I'm sure of, I can never tolerate injustice. 

"Light" 

Hearing her voice comforts me yet at the same time, it sends chills down my spine, the fact that my actions could endanger her horrifies me a lot. But I just can't give this up. After all, it's all I know. 

"Hey, you're back so soon. How'd it go?" I quickly stood up, walking towards her. 

"Doc Daiki was furious after I informed him about his brother's sudden appearance in your room. They started investigating on that lead earlier today" She explained, while gently replacing my shoulder bandages.

"Great job, soon enough, they'll come knocking on his door and when they do, I'll be here waiting" 

"And how do you plan on taking the notebook from the police?.. You're acting like your shoulder is working well, huh" She chuckles softly as she applies a little bit of force into wrapping my bandage. 

"Agh..I-I'm sorry, I'll be careful, I promise- Ah! you trying to kill your patient?" I exclaimed, flinching from her continuous harsh treatment. 

"I just worry, Light. Your stitches open up the second you try to shoot a basketball. I can't risk you getting harmed any more than you already have"

"From the moment you met me, did you ever think that I was weak? " I held her hand and placed it on my cheek, it felt warm and soft to my touch.

"No-" 

"Exactly, so stop worrying so much, I'm going to be fine. I wouldn't want you to come back to a dead patient" I comforted her, bringing her hand down to my chest. "Please trust me on this, y/n" 

"Yeah, okay. I will.. jeez, you're easily the most interesting patient I ever handled and I took care of a celebrity once" She smiles. 

That smile would light up my world a thousand times and I wouldn't get tired of it..

...

when did I get so cheesy, I have a feeling that it's extremely unlikely that I used to act like this. I just need her in order to recall my memories and remember who I am, to achieve my goals, nothing else. 

Nothing else..right?

Author's note 

Hey! so this specific chapter focuses on Light's POV. (It'll return to y/n's POV in the next chapter) It's also a recap of everything he remembers so far. I wanted to write this note to emphasize the idea that in the anime and manga, we have observed that Light was way too obsessed with his plans to create the perfect world that he wouldn't be able to fall in love with anyone. But I found an exception; a way for him to actually feel something and that was to make him forget. So, even if he recalls everything, it wouldn't affect the bond he created with the person. The whole idea is to show that the only way Light would be able to feel love if is he doesn't recall how evil he could be.