Chapter 34:

Jin Zixuan took his friends’ advice and became very, very careful when he was within the Jiang siblings’ vicinity. Unfortunately for him, he underestimated how shameless Jiang Yanli would be, attempting to corner him at every turn.

Thankfully, he had a lot of supportive friends, and they never left him alone during the guest disciples’ free time. Even when they weren’t there, he could always feel Shuãng lurking in the shadows, keeping an eye on him at all times. With all this added protection and forethought, he felt safe from the Jiangs and confident that they wouldn’t have the chance to corner him

Or so he thought.

He had gone to an open area near the rivers of Cloud Recesses, looking for some fresh air. His moment of peace had been almost immediately interrupted by Jiang Yanli’s sudden appearance. She stood in front of him, batting her eyelashes innocently before speaking in that signature, soft voice of hers that never failed to irritate the hell out of him.

“Young Master Jin, I was hoping we could talk.”

“No,” Jin Zixuan shot down as he attempted to get away from her, but she was quick to pursue him.

“Please, Young Master Jin? Just for a moment?”

He tried his best to ignore her and sped up, hoping to reach the Main Grounds. Sadly, she just had to catch up to him. He knew better than anyone that his patience was rather short, especially when he was dealing with someone he had no desire to interact with. As such, once he realized he couldn’t lose her, Jin Zixuan immediately stopped and turned on her, glaring at her hard enough to make her stumble.

“What purpose do you have trying to talk to me, Jiang-guniang?” He surprised himself with how calm his voice was, despite his growing rage. “Our mothers are no longer sworn sisters, and our engagement has been nullified. You are as much a stranger to me as I am to you, so why do you pursue me like this?”

“A-Xuan-”

“Don’t call me that.”

She stumbled slightly on her words but quickly recovered. “Young Master Jin, while what you say is true, I would like to discuss fixing that. I want us to get to know each other properly, so you can get to know the real me instead of just the rumors around my family. I believe that given time, we can fall in love with one another. It has always been my dream to have a family with you-”

“And that’s just it, Jiang Yanli,” Jin Zixuan cut her off with a harsh whisper through his gritted teeth. “It was your dream, not mine. I am already well acquainted with the real you, and I can assure you that I will never fall in love with a woman like you. Not only because of your family or your own snake-like behavior but because my heart already belongs to another.”

At those words, Jiang Yanli’s countenance darkened. 

“Another? Who?” Her face was so full of bitter hatred and jealousy that she looked so startlingly like her mother. “Whomever she is, I am far superior! I am the daughter of a sect leader, I can cook, and I can support you in whatever you need! Who is she, Jin Zixuan?!”

“You want to know who she is?” He laughed, smirking as he did. “She is someone who is better than you in every aspect. She’s smart, loyal, brave, and has the strength and the fortitude to stand up for herself. If I wanted someone who can cook and serve me, I would hire a servant.”

“E-Even so! I am the far superior choice! Jin Zixuan-!”

“You are the last woman I would ever choose as my wife, Jiang Yanli. My true intended, the woman I have given my heart to, has earned her place. She has proven herself a pure, kindhearted woman who will devote herself to the betterment of the Jin, as well as the common people. I love her, and I will not be swayed by the venomous words of a viper like you.” He gave her a shallow bow, feeling like there was a weight off his chest. “Good day, Jiang-guniang.”

He turned away from the fuming girl, catching a glimpse of a pair of frosty blue eyes that could only belong to Shuãng. If Yanli decided to try something, then he would have evidence against her.

Good thing, because she did try something.

The only warning the Jin Heir got was the sound of cloth being ripped, then he was grabbed by the arm. From the corner of his eyes, he spotted white robes rounding the corner just as he was spun around, and Yanli smashed her lips against his. He was so shocked by the sudden assault that he almost lost balance, forced to grab her arms for support. Once his mind caught up with the situation, he recoiled and pushed her lightly, trying to put some distance between them. She moved with the push, acting as if he had shoved her, sending her sprawling across the ground.

That was the scene that the two Lan disciples walked into, Yanli on the ground while clutching her ripped robes, which exposed her chest area. She began to cry, stuttering out sobs for help before stumbling towards the Lans. She blubbered a story about him forcing himself on her, which only drew more attention to the scene. More Lan Cultivators grabbed Jin Zixuan, dragging him away as Wanyin came to assist his sister.

The Jin Heir didn’t fight the cultivators holding him, his eyes remaining on Yanli as she looked up from her brother’s shoulder, smirking coldly at him. She thought she’d won, but she couldn’t be more wrong.

“Don’t think you’ve won, Yanli,” he called out. “I was ready for this.”

He watched in satisfaction as her smirk dropped and she paled in realization. Before he was dragged around the corner to wherever he would be confined for the debacle, he saw her mouth something. Even from as far as he was, he could make out a name. The name that he knew would be the undoing of the Jiangs once and for all.

‘Hua Xianle’

In the Jingshi, Hua Xianle was visiting his dear Lan Zhan, enjoying some tea outside and enjoying the day. As the young Hua chattered away to the amusement of his zhiji, Shuãng gracefully walked up to him in his cub form, swinging his tail to show off the slightly glowing memory orb. Seeing that, the two young masters gave the tiger their full attention as it approached, settling into his master’s lap.

The frosty blue eyes of Shuãng met the cold silver eyes of Xianle and both exchanged an evil look. Hua Ying rolled the memory orb in between his thumb and index finger before storing it carefully inside a necklace he had tucked under his robes. It was designed to hold small, round items such as the orb, and the boy had been wearing it since his spiritual animal came to Cloud Recesses.

“Ah, seems Cloud Recesses will finally be rid of those blots on your uncle’s teaching record.”

“Mn. Looking forward to it.”