01. green grapes

and i screamed for whatever
it's worth. "i love you," ain't
the worst thing you ever heard?

Jukyung supported her chin on the handle of the mop as she stood in front of the sliding glass door

Jukyung supported her chin on the handle of the mop as she stood in front of the sliding glass door. Only the sun's strongest rays from the middle of the day, when it was at its hottest, were shining against the pool's reflection. Jukyung smiled as she saw the quiet pool ripples. She felt a tiny bit of the summer she sought thanks to the sight and the sound of her summer music playing in the house. To her dismay, a chilly, damp rag was hurled at her head, disturbing her peace of mind.

She saw Yeonjun snicker from the living room and cringed back as she grabbed the rag before it fell to the floor. "You're so fucking funny, I could put you in the circus!" she yelled as she flung the cold rag back at him.

"Too bad I'm also in charge because you technically can't. Have you even mopped?" Yeonjun teased his younger cousin as he caught the rag. He picked up the lemon scented spray and creates a figure eight with it on the coffee table. Yeonjun starts dragging the rag against the glass table, "the floor looks as dirty as the loft upstairs,"

"The loft is a problem for later. Besides, the floor looks fine," Jukyung retaliated. She glances at the floor and raised an eyebrow, "would you rather mop?"

"Hell no, I'd rather clean the loft by myself," Yeonjun scoffed.

Jukyung dragged the sliding door open while leaning the mop against the wall. The warm Jeju sun touched her skin as soon as she went outside. She kicked off her sandals and put her feet into the pool as the heat caressed over her cheeks. She took a seat on the ledge and started to circle her feet around it. The beach house had a view of the water, and you could see the restaurant against the cliff in all its splendor from there.

Every year the same thing happened: the Sunnies would stay over at their beach house to unwind over the summer. Everyone's favorite time of the year was from June through August, when they had barbecues and hung out every day. Even though Jukyung spent endless hours at the cabana and endless hours taking walks on the beach, she knew deep down that this time was different.

She remembered how she used to spend her days at the beach with her friends, running on the sand. She created an unending number of sandcastles only for Yeonjun to run through and collect seashells from the shore. She felt tingling as she thought back on these little occasions at this house, but in a wonderful manner.

Despite the sun shining as brightly as it had in the past, this summer was different. Because they were of legal drinking age, there were no parents to make sure they arrived home by 11 p.m. or to monitor their alcohol intake. They weren't the same young children who played on the beach and made sand castles before passing asleep at 8 o'clock.

They were adults who wanted more in life. They wanted to forget how hard life was and how expensive it is to breathe.

The Seo Summer. The summer where time is an illusion and you aren't responsible for everything back home. It was only Jukyung and her friends against the summer sun and the sand that gets into everything no matter how hard you try for it not to. The summer filled with dancing with strangers, a drink in their hands and oh but of course—their next shift at the Cabana the next morning.