05/06/2023-Interview with Sa'eed Muhammad

Hello Everyone
It is my great pleasure to introduce to you a remarkable poet whose words have the power to stir hearts and ignite imaginations. Allow me to present Sa'eed Muhammad, a true wordsmith and a master of their craft.

Let's get started😊

Thank you، Jumanatu. It's a pleasure to be here.

🎤 Can you tell us a bit about yourself and how you got started in the world of poetry?

My name is Sa'eed, I write from Yobe State. I started writing poems right after I graduated from secondary school in 2015.

🎤 What initially sparked your interest in poetry and made you pursue it as a form of expression?

Women— they are the passport to heaven. I started writing poems as a medium to get rid of my introversion and find a way to talk to people especially girls.

It's fascinating to hear that you found poetry as a means to overcome introversion and connect with others, particularly with women.

🎤How would you describe your unique poetic style?

My style is unique, perhaps because I read a lots of Rumi and Darwish's poetry. You will always sense their influences in my poetry. I read a lot of Nigerian poets as well— poets like Zainab Bobi, Zakiyya and Testimony.

🎤 What themes  do you find yourself drawn to the most in your poetry?

I consistently write about love, and grief.

🎤 How do you approach the creative process of writing a poem?

It takes me a day or two to finish writing a poem. I  don't rush, because I write with certain rules in mind.

🎤 Have you ever experienced writer's block? If so how do you overcome it?

I don't believe in writer's block, if I can't write about something, it means I don't know much about it.

The solution is to read, read voraciously.

🎤 Have you ever had a poem or a line that you found particularly challenging to write? Can you share the story behind it?

I have a poem titled: LatifaI find it challenging because Latifa, was a girl, I showed so much emphaty for.

🎤What role do you think poetry plays in society?

It's a catalyst for change— for good or bad it depends on the poet's intention.

🎤 What do you hope readers take away from your poetry? Is there a specific message or feeling you aim to convey?

I want them to feel the beauty of my poem as they read it.

🎤Do you prefer writing free verse or working within specific poetic forms?

Free verse💃🏽

🎤Why free verse?

It gives me the freedom to write freely without paying too much attention to rhymes.

🎤How do you know when a poem is complete or when it needs further revision?

I know a poem is complete when my heart is at peace with it. A poem always need revision in order to cut away the unnecessary words.

🎤How do you decide on the title for your poems?

I decide the title after I finish writing my poems. I mostly look for details that are missing in the poem to create a title.

It was Ted Kooser that taught me a lot about creating titles through his books on poetry refinement.

🎤How do you approach editing and revising your work?

I edit my poem hours after the first draft. I revise it by reading the poem out to myself.

🎤Do you believe poetry has the power to evoke change or inspire action?

Sure. Poetry has the power to evoke change, to shape people's lives and transform dreams into reality.

🎤 Do you have any advice for aspiring poets?

Read the poems of established poets, read books about poetry and submit your works to magazines.

🎤Finally, where can readers find more of your work or connect with you online?

I only submit my works to magazines and later share it on WhatsApp. People can connect with me either on WhatsApp or Instagram.

🎤Your handle?

@muhammed_saeede

Thank you so much for joining us today. It was truly an honor to have you share your thoughts and poetry with us.

Thank you, Jumanatu.

If you like this do Share, vote and comment 😊