Chapter 1

As the daughter of a wealthy tycoon, you were always at a risk of getting caught up in some power-struggle between your father and his competitors.

You were used to certain pressures and considered yourself moderately independent when it came to self-defence. You were proficient with multiple weapons and hand-to-hand combat. Danger wasn't something you found hard to overcome.

That's why you were certain you didn't need bodyguards. Yet your overprotective father insisted on hiring them. He hired one for each member of the family but you just had to end up with two.

"I know your rebellious tendencies, young lady. I'm putting a stop to your unauthorized sneaking out." Your father reprimanded.

"(B/N) only has one. Why am I getting two?" You groaned, opposed to the whole idea from the start.

"Because your brother isn't notorious at sneaking out at night for frivolous parties." He growled.

"This isn't fair. What I did wasn't ever a problem. It isn't my fault you decided to piss off some shady organization."

"Don't argue with me, (Y/N). Whether you like it or not, you're a target now. If they get to you, we're all going to be in big trouble." He hissed, shutting any other complaints you might have had down. He snapped his fingers, calling out for one of the servants, "Bring them in."

The door opened, two neatly dressed men with stern, almost emotionless expressions entered the room. Their presence completely changed the atmosphere of the office. To any normal person, they would have been extremely intimidating.

'They definitely look the part of bodyguards.' You thought, scanning them up and down for any hint of weakness you could exploit later when needed. 'Even if one of them is pretty short, I shouldn't underestimate them.'

"(Y/N). This is Alhaitham and Cyno. From now on, they are going to be your bodyguards." Your father introduced, gesturing to them respectively. "You'd do good to not cause any trouble they'd have to clean up."

"Whatever," you muttered, deciding you have had enough of your father's voice for today. On your way out, you accidentally brushed shoulders with the shorter of the two, a sour expression crossing your face.

After your quite rude exit, the three men left in the room exchanged a look.

"I apologize for her behaviour. She's been like this for as long as I can remember, rebellious every chance she gets." your father sighed before muttering to himself. "I wonder if I should have been stricter and disciplined her more when she was younger."

"It's nothing new to us, many people aren't thrilled with being monitored. We'll make sure she doesn't cause you any more unnecessary trouble, Mr (L/N)." Cyno reasurred, his statement confirmed by Alhaitham's decisive nod.

"I put my trust in you, gentlemen."

"If you'll excuse us, we should make sure she isn't trying to escape right this moment." Alhaitham noted, not putting it past you to try.

"Don't let me keep you from your work." Your father nodded, gesturing for them to leave.

***

After about an hour of stewing in your room, listening to your workout playlist while you vented your frustration on the punching bag that hung from the ceiling, you decided to take a little breather.

In the past few months, you've been getting more irritable, so you requested for a few pieces of training equipment to be added to your room's décor. At times like these, it came in handy.

As the adrenaline left your system, you started to feel a little sluggish, tired. Unwrapping the bandages from your fists, you hissed as the fabric brushed the irritated skin of your knuckles. You might have overdone it this time.