CHAPTER 27: I Do

Professor James Akondem as the bride's father had been called up to say something about his daughter. The crowd seemed to be wrapped up in what he was saying except Imma, she could barely focus. Her eyes like a hawk watched the two intruders make their way to a table and settle down. Eyong in a brown senator wear, adjusted his square-rimmed glasses and looked straight at her. Her heart seemed to stop beating and start again. The audacity of him! Then his brother Michael in a sky blue shirt adjusted his bow tie and looked at her. 

"How dare they show up here!" Imma seethed to Ache who just looked at her with a stony expression. He seemed to be trying to keep things under control.
"We can't acknowledge them now, baby," He said, tapping two fingers on the table impatiently.

"Boss, should I kick them out?" Otto asked. Ache shook his head. One wrong move was going to result in a scandal and social media was going to feed on it like vultures fed on carcasses.

Professor Akondem finished his speech and the crowd cheered. His face brightened into a smile as he stared at the group and then he froze.
"Oh no! Daddy has seen Eyong!" Imma panicked, gripping Ache's hand. 

The crowd started to murmur. Heads were turning to see what Imma's father was looking at. She wanted to cry! Her father didn't easily forgive and the look on his face said he would kick Eyong out of the hall that instant if he didn't throw him in jail first for scamming him of half a million francs. What were they thinking coming here? Several people including her father had been scammed by Eyong and if people recognized him, he would indeed be lynched.

The MC, Kevin looked at Imma and Ache, a silent what-should-i do? written all over his face. Their faces were blank. Her wedding was ruined!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it is now time for the father-daughter dance, Professor James, please remain on the dance floor," The MC, Kevin suddenly announced. Imma wanted to jump up and kiss him at that moment but she couldn't. Her husband sat beside her, breathing in relief. The MC had saved the day! The father-daughter dance was supposed to be the last item on the program but he'd brought it forward. The mention of her father's name suddenly broke the spell. He refocused, relaxed, and watched Imma come down the podium.

Imma placed her hands over her father's shoulder. He held her lightly around the waist. His body was still tensed and she could see he was clenching his jaw.

The DJ started playing Scott Thomas: This Dance.

They began to move slowly back and forth as they'd practiced. Neither she nor her father were very good dancers so they'd settled for simple steps.

"So you invited your useless thief of an ex-boyfriend to your wedding?" Her father growled only to her hearing.

"No Daddy, I didn't invite him. Do you think I would disrespect you like this?" She said, trying to hide the hurt in her voice.
"So what is he doing here?" He asked, twirling her around. She spun around and came face to face with him and tears were forming in her eyes.
"I don't know Daddy but I hope you trust me that I won't make a foolish decision like this."

"I'm sorry, daughter. I trust you. You've been making the right choices and it's taken me long to see. I'm proud of you," He said, looking at her in the eyes. She believed every word her father said because he couldn't fake the tenderness in his eyes. For the last part of the song, she leaned in and placed her head on his shoulder.

After the father-daughter dance, the guest moved to dinner. That was the perfect time to confront the elephant in the room or the Eyongs in the room. 

"Congratulations on your wedding," Eyong said as soon as Imma and Ache arrived. Careful not to draw attention with their serious looks, they'd agreed to smile so she responded to his greeting with a stiff thank you and so did Ache.