X

I woke up to the bed empty. I sighed and curled into the blankets more.

I heard the shower on. I didnt have the energy to get up today.

I turned over and grabbed my phone, seeing a text from my dad.

Dad: last night won't be a part of your two days. Can you come in today instead?

Me: who's all there today?

Dad: your mother, me, Mr. Hansen, and your brothers.

Me: No thank you.

Dad: why are you so mad about last night?

Me: I don't want to talk about it. I don't even think I can come in today

Dad: why?

Me: because I don't have enough makeup to cover the bruises that your current partner left on me

Immediately my phone rang. I sighed and picked it up.

"Hello?"

"What do you mean by that?" He asked.

"I meant what I said."

"Did Lloyd hurt you?"

"No. But why would you care if he did anyways? You signed that contract that said that it doesn't matter what happens to me if a hansen name does it. So guess what? This doesn't matter either."

"What did he do Vanessa?" He asked sternly.

"I don't want to talk to you anymore." I said, feeling the tears boil up again.

"Sweetheart." He said. I didn't say anything.

"Did he truly hurt you?" He asked.

"Who's he?"

"Richard."

I took a deep breath. My dad sighed on the phone.

"I didn't think he would actually do it."

"So you know about this, you believed him last night that I was going to cheat on my husband?! You know dad I am trying really, really fucking hard to be nice. He choked me out to the point where if Lloyd had came in ten seconds later than when he came in, I would've passed out. And I didn't say shit to him! He was trying to get me! So fuck you for believing that abuser over your own flesh and fucking blood!"

"We obviously have a lot to talk about."

"No the fuck we don't. You're a fucking piece of shit you know that? You know maybe I shouldn't work there anymore. You wanted to fire me, so be it. I could quit and you would have nothing. The community you built would be over. Maybe I have a fucking attitude because I have this entire operation on my shoulders and you throw me around like I'm a fucking piece of garbage! Fuck you!"

"Vanessa."

"Don't. Don't fucking Vanessa me. I've lost all of my freedoms, all of my belongings, all of my livelihood. There is a reason I have a fucking stubborn attitude. I wouldn't do it just for fun."

"Well you can learn to fix it."

"I've been trying. But choking me out and leaving me with nothing doesn't work!" I said. My chin quivered. Lloyd came into the bedroom with just a towel on. He gave me a look.

"Please just sit down with your mother and I and we can talk."

"Don't think that I don't realize that all the boys got at least a month to get to know their future wives while I got a day. Don't think that I don't realize that they got their freedoms and I got nothing. I'm not fucking stupid!"

"I understand that. But I knew you would've flipped if I forced you to go on dates."

"No I wouldn't have. I would've felt better getting to know someone that I was gonna marry, instead of going around and trying to figure out a relationship while being married! You chose to make my process ten times harder."

"I didn't choose that on purpose. I thought it was the safer route. Besides you need someone that you don't know well enough that can give you an uppercut to calm you down. Lloyd was trained by his father to find weaknesses in people and bring their morals down. You needed to be grounded quickly."

I started crying. I couldn't even think anymore.

"So...you decided to put me with someone just because they have training- not because I would..spend the rest of my..life with them and have their children?" I asked while crying.

"I don't know if I could've found anyone that you could love and cherish. You're cold hearted Vanessa."

I stayed quiet. Lloyd was at the foot of the bed. I cried harder.

You're cold hearted Vanessa.

I sighed. "Well then. I guess that's all I am."

"Are you coming to work later? I need you here."

"I guess." I whispered. I hugged myself.

"Great. Bye."

I set down my phone. Lloyd came over and wiped my tears.

"What was that?"

"I don't know." I cried. "I have to go into work."

"Just breathe. Hold off for a second."

I sniffed and looked at him. He was blurry from the tears.

"You are not alone in this." He said. I nodded.

"He said that the only reason he picked you was because you're trained enough to make sure to find my weaknesses and ground me." I said. "Is that true?"

"I know your weaknesses. I know exactly what they are. But I will not try and stop you because your weaknesses are also your strengths."

I sighed. "What are they?"

"Same as mine. Your heart, your reputation, and your constant need to do things the right way."

I sighed and looked down at my hands. "And you haven't knocked any down."

"Nope. And I won't."

I wiped my tears. "I just need to go in there and be myself. I don't know."

"Yep. You'll be okay."

I nodded. "Thank you. I know I've been a pain in the ass these past few days."

He smiled and shook his head. "Our parents have been the pains in the asses."

"I don't think asses is a word."

"Plural for ass?"

I shrugged and got up, wiping my tears.

"Have fun today."

"Oh I will." I whispered.