Part 9-

(Ainz POV)

For a few moments, I was able to witness a memory I will forever hold onto.

A baby boy in the arms of the woman I love.

If only that moment could have lasted longer.

No matter what our child would look like, I would love them all the same, but I knew that something was off.

Valeska looked to be in agonising pain, and then nothing.

The baby cried out once or twice before complete silence.

She is pale, ghostly white. Her skin is beading in a cold sweat. She is still holding onto the baby in her arms, but her grip is slowly loosening.

What's happening? I croak, kneeling at her bedside.

Without answering, the nurse waves more help into the room. Lights and panicked movement fill the area.

Are they all right? I command. Why is no one answering? This doesn't make sense, she was fine. She's strong, in this world she is invincible, right?

Lord, permission to separate them to better treat them. The blubbery nurse bows.

Whatever you need to do!

✧: *✧:* *:✧*:

(POV change Valeska)

All my senses seem blurred.

The immense pain that flowed in my abdomen and throughout my body vanishes.

I can make out the small figure in my arms, I know he is mine. No matter how much I strain my eyes, I can't make out any details. A loud ringing in my ears drowns out any focus I can muster.

Cold.

I feel so cold.

But happy, he is finally here, my baby.

My body is relieved, I feel like I can rest now.

I'm so tired, the room begins to spin and darken around me.

Suzuki is here, he will keep him safe.

✧: *✧:* *:✧*:

[POV change-third person (temporary)]

The panic-stricken room only increased when Lord Valeska's eyes fell closed.

Ainz shouts and points orders, unsure of what else to do.

The newborn is rushed onto his own bed and into another room.

Lord Neurologist Painkill can't meet anyone's gaze.

"Tell me." Ainz red eyes fall on the nurse. Their mouth opens then closes, unsure of what to say.

Lord Valeska, she U-Um I'm sorry. While pregnant, she was strong enough to raise the child. When giving birth, the baby instinctively wanted to take as much power from his mother while he could. It seems the surge of traded strength into his small body sent him into a form of shock. They spoke nervously, shaking after each word. Lord Valeska's body's defences weren't triggered due to the love she feels for her son. Allowing him to take everything.

Ainz's stance staggers, leaning over Valeska's body.

No life was there, she remained unmoved.

Cold.

Gone.

✧: *✧:* *:✧*:

Every Guardian gathered night and day with Ainz searching for any hope of getting her back.

Shalltear was revived, however the amount of gold needed surpassed what they had. Even if they acquired it, can you even revive a player?

Not only did she die, but the cause was her power being transferred, it didn't pass with her.

Would she survive being brought back to life? Even if that was possible, would she just be a shell of what she was?

The child was only in slightly better shape. He remains knocked out, still in shock, living, but barely.

Healing magic may be an option, but the race of the baby is unknown, the wrong spell and it could be over. He is small, just short of a human baby. Dark crimson skin dotted in black freckles cover his very thin body. Every bone seems to be at the edge of breaking through. Two cute white horns protrude out of his head. A red-orb floats dimly in the centre of his small chest.

✧: *✧:* *:✧*:

(POV change Ainz)

Dammit, why is this happening?

All that we have, and yet I cannot find the answer to save them.

Currently, Demiurge and I are huddled around papers and scrolls in my office. The other guardians are working to help as well within Nazarick.

I had Pandora's actor make a list of all the treasuries items that could be used for healing or reviving.

It seems we have narrowed it down to one item that may work for Lord Valeska. Demiurge exclaims after hours of searching.

Show me. Snatching the paper from his hand, I look at the sketched out item.

'God's Grace and Divine Punishment'

But she is a demon, would this even work on her?

Can you explain, please, Demiurge? Maybe he is seeing something I am not.

Suddenly, he drops to one knee and bows his head.

Lord His tone is serious. This item could be used on Lord Valeska if we can find a host body strong enough to carry her. However, the trade-off is- unspeakable.

Nothing can be ruled out, continue. I watch him with all my attention, no matter the cost, I will have her back.

Her power would need to be returned, if it was taken by another being T-their life must be taken.

Any hope shakes and shatters in my non-existent heart. The price to have her back would be to sacrifice our son? I shake my head, not believing what he is saying.

Demiurge, listen very carefully. She means the world to me, if this is the only possible way. But is that the right choice? Taking our child's life for her own? Am I to decide? I can't keep it together any longer. Do you understand the position I am in? To choose? For my child to die by my command?!

He only sinks deeper under my words.

Even if we do nothing and try to save the young Lord, we may end up with the same result but without her. Demiurge hisses. I apologise my Lord, it's not my place to say such-

I understand what you are saying. I hold up my hand, interrupting him.